Once I press the power button, the screen remains black for about a minute then it turns to gray and a blinking dash appears in the top left corner. Nothing happens unless I spam some keys, then the logo comes up. and about 1/5 of the time it shows he "Press the ESC key." When I press it, it does not respond half the time and at weird moments it will. The logo comes back p and 1/5 times it has the loading sign underneath. When I log into my computer the touchpad does not work, the mouse lags and the start and cmd will not open. At random moments the browser lags hard then closes for no reason, then my screen freezes.
I have a Windows 7 hp which is now upgraded to Windows 10
It seems like a hardware problem to me but please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If the same problem will persist proceed with reinstalling Windows 7 back in your laptop.
- Once Windows 7 has been reinstalled and if the same problem will persist that could only mean that the HDD is failing already.
- If you have a spare HDD do install it in your laptop and install Windows 7 in it.
- If it will work normally, that concludes it that it's the HDD that is faulty.