Fixd app question

Jul 5, 2018
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting the FIXD app. My car seems to have a problem with its sensors that are randomly turning on and off. I brought it to my mechanic who said he would need a day to identify the problem. If I get Fixd, will it tell me which sensors are on and what it means (useless to me) or will it actually check the engine for issues (in which way I can bypass the sensors). Please let me know. Thanks. M

Solution
The error codes are decided by the car' manufacturer, and there's no standard for what they mean. That's why they are unique for each brand / model / year. And these errors do not tell you what's wrong with the car, they tell you which sensor malfunctioned or sensed wrong value.

There are cheap ($20) OBD II dongles with Bluetooth interface. Get one of these, and try it. Of course, your car should support OBD interface (most 21st century cars do).
I suppose you're talking about OBD dongle connected over Bluetooth to your phone running said app. If so - these apps (and OBD II) tell you "error code". What this error code means depends on your particular vehicle. Some apps can get this down to a sensors, others just report that code, which you have to find out by yourself what it means.

Keep in mind that sometimes single error code can mean many things - it all depends on your vehicle.

Jul 5, 2018
Hi Alabalcho!
And thanks for your answer. If I may ask you one follow-up question: Is the error code related to the actual problem in the car or is the error code provided based on the sensor appearing on the screen?
Thanks. This is all new to me so forgive me if it's not clear.
M

The error codes are decided by the car' manufacturer, and there's no standard for what they mean. That's why they are unique for each brand / model / year. And these errors do not tell you what's wrong with the car, they tell you which sensor malfunctioned or sensed wrong value.

There are cheap ($20) OBD II dongles with Bluetooth interface. Get one of these, and try it. Of course, your car should support OBD interface (most 21st century cars do).

Solution