Florida Dog Cloned for $155,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Well, in this case, Caring is Creepy.

On one hand you can sort of see how they have the money to spend, so why not spend it on something that brings them a lot of joy, but OTOH, you sort of wonder if they would want to do the same sort of thing if they lost a child.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
Dude, we've worked together for who knows how long and only now am I starting to see the inner-workings of your mind. That vision will likely never leave me.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Let me be the first to bring up that wonderful Arnold Schwarzenegger classic, Sixth Day.

Hopefully, these people don't expect their new puppy to remember its old tricks. Its a completely different dog, just with the same genetic makeup. It's like an identical twin, and any twins' parents can tell you, their kids are individuals regardless of how similar they are in appearance.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
yea...that thing isn't their dog. It is a dog, and I'm sure it is a great dog too, but it isn't the dog they lost....might as well have spent the money on a robot version.

G

Could you lie though?? Send them any old DNA ("Yup, it's hair from dear old Spot, cross my heart!") any have them cook up some weird half tortoise half parrot hybrid? I'd pay $15,000 for a Parrotort any day just for the look on it's face when it tried to fly. Other than that, yes - a novel waste of $15,000.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]Could you lie though?? Send them any old DNA ("Yup, it's hair from dear old Spot, cross my heart!") any have them cook up some weird half tortoise half parrot hybrid? I'd pay $15,000 for a Parrotort any day just for the look on it's face when it tried to fly. Other than that, yes - a novel waste of $15,000.[/citation]
It wasn't $15,000, it was $155,000.

baov

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]might as well have spent the money on a robot version.[/citation]

At least you can load up a robot with it's old memory.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Cloaning is like dating a CO-worker... You know you shouldn't but you do anyway.

I think if they have 155k to spare, and it makes them happy, go for it!

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
they should donate all that money to animal shelters. there is nothing wrong with stem cell technology but cloning your dead pet is messed up.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
i think for less money they could have put their pet in cryostasis at Alcor and then they would maybe have been able to get their original pet back in the future assuming biotechnology is ever able to get as powerful as some scientists hope.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I believe cloning is a useful tool that will come in handy in the future. However acts like this is simply abusing the science. It shouldn't be used to bring back deceased pets.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I'm anxious to see whether this dog behaves quite like the last. Yeah, it's nearly the same dog, but it won't have the same life experiences as the first. Thus, it may not end up the same way. I guess, in time, they'll find out.

Unfortunately, I doubt modern science has come along enough for this pet to live problem free. I'm sure there will be some severe medical side effects.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Money and all that aside, who the hell names a dog Sir Lancelot? People come up with some weird names these days for animals, whatever happened to the classics, like Beau, Lassy, Scooter, Turbo, things of that nature. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.