Foldit Gamers Come Up With Scientific Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Isn't this the premise for Stargate Universe? Gamer plays MMO, solves incredibly complex mathematical formula, unlocks 9th chevron, then delivers 1.5 seasons of crappy shows? (They actually cancelled Atlantis over this.) *Roll eyes*

Anyway, as a hardcore gamer myself, I have always believed we are more than the box the world tries to put us in.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
lol, cant wait the next time some old fuddy-duddy calls me a no good gamer.. We just helped unlock the structure of an AIDS related enzyme.... Now let me get back to gaming..

btw, your welcome.

and I do fold@home

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Isn't this the premise for Stargate Universe? Gamer plays MMO, solves incredibly complex mathematical formula, unlocks 9th chevron, then delivers 1.5 seasons of crappy shows? (They actually cancelled Atlantis over this.) *Roll eyes*Anyway, as a hardcore gamer myself, I have always believed we are more than the box the world tries to put us in.[/citation]
Yeah, exactly. I don't get it either. SG-Atlantis was a great show with a really good cast. SG-U was a confused mix-mash of ideas and a much weaker cast that failed to achieve the same synergy that made SG1 and SGA so good.

As for Foldit, that is pretty damn cool! They ought to see about getting us gamers working on creating something like ZPMs... because wind and solar just aren't going to cut it.

songemu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Aw, I thought SGU had 1 good episode first season, and maybe 3-4 second season.

Anyways... yea. Human intuition. Still can't match it with a computer yet.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Isn't this the premise for Stargate Universe? Gamer plays MMO, solves incredibly complex mathematical formula, unlocks 9th chevron, then delivers 1.5 seasons of crappy shows? (They actually cancelled Atlantis over this.) *Roll eyes*Anyway, as a hardcore gamer myself, I have always believed we are more than the box the world tries to put us in.[/citation]
+9999
SGU was starting to get a bit better....

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]fictitious1[/nom]The brain, put them together and it is still the worlds greatest supercomputer..[/citation]
when it comes to quick reaction and instant calculations, maybe.

Calculations: not so much (still can't do Pi*5235/63627 instantly)

G

They don't care about the gamers they only care about the strategies they use(algorithms).Those bigbrothers bozos use the players like rats lab then stole their ideas and make the companies profit from that,data mining is a very profitable bussines.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
The gamers knew exactly what was going to happen with the gathered data when they started playing. It isn't at all an invasion of privacy when you say, "Yeah, I'll help you solve that," and then they actually use your help.

If you're gonna wear a tinfoil hat, go right ahead. It's your life. But at least make sense. The tinfoil is to protect your thoughts, not your car.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Yeah, i'd never help scientists discover a cure for human plagues... they'd only distribute it to sick people... /sarc

Supertrek32 - You're asking the tinfoil brigade to make sense, or even check their facts. Good luck with that.

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
They concluded that gamers who were provided tools for creating, editing, sharing and rating game-playing recipes within the Foldit game came up with at least one recipe, called Blue Fuse, offered a "striking resemblance" to a "scientist-built", but unpublished algorithm called Fast Relax.

Scientists: Congratulations guys, you came up with what we knew a long time ago. Keep up the good work and you might catch up with us in 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.