Ford Shows Custom Wi-Fi for Car Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Regardless of your opinion that is a racist statement. Does he need to actually send you his birth certificate?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Bunch of BS probably funded by tax dollars from the Kenyan in the White House.[/citation]
It's amazing how you were able to pack so much misinformation and bigotry into a single sentence, congrats.

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Bunch of BS probably funded by tax dollars from the Kenyan in the White House.[/citation]

You sir are the definition of Fox News audience!

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]Too bad you have to get a Ford to get stuff like this. Looks like one more thing they can overcharge you to fix.[/citation]
"The company told me that Wi-Fi signal and data packet format itself is being standardized and can be used by any car manufacturer."

It's a bit pointless if it's just on Ford, don't you think?

erichoyt

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

grow up, get an education....until you do so...please don't procreate

G

I love the idea, if but for one small detail, i drive an all electric car and i want to know what the power draw on this thing is

also it opens up the system to abuse, it's a perfect system for telling folks where the highway patrol is hiding out

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]"The company told me that Wi-Fi signal and data packet format itself is being standardized and can be used by any car manufacturer."It's a bit pointless if it's just on Ford, don't you think?[/citation]

yeah, I meant they don't have the global market share to push this technology to get standardized.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]Too bad you have to get a Ford to get stuff like this. Looks like one more thing they can overcharge you to fix.[/citation]
"The company told me that Wi-Fi signal and data packet format itself is being standardized and can be used by any car manufacturer."

Yup it sais right there "Ford Only"

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Sounds like something some Car Modder would do. I dont get the point of Wi-Fi if you car doesnt already have an internet connection. Unless you could get a new customer deal on the fact of your car, since place of residency is short placed. Its not a bad idea, but seems more specifically placed of interest for a use then a general overall practical one, but might turn into one though of the idea. Otherwise probably would be an awesome mod idea, for sure.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Its my impression that Ford has really been putting a lot of effort into developing technology for in-car applications. I commend them for that.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Its my impression that Ford has really been putting a lot of effort into developing technology for in-car applications. I commend them for that.[/citation]
Agree 100%.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Awesome, now the spooks don't even need to attach a transmitter to your car, they can just monitor any vehicle, anywhere in real time without a warrant.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Toms[/nom]Each packet is encrypted and about 300 to 400 bytes in size.[/citation]
What's the point of encrypting each packet, if all cars are going to be able to pick it up? Obviously they'll all need to share the same encryption certificate/code which means it'll be publically available, therefore eliminating the need to encrypt it in the first place.
It's like loaning someone an encrypted drive and telling them the password - Seems pointless to me!!

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I was thinking Pento, and "virtually" representing your car as something else. Of course would have to have a virtual reciever to be represented on, and probably other car companies arent so interested to say. Who knows....

fperry6

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
The technology mentioned in the article is not “wi-fi” in the traditional sense. It’s a new Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC) protocol running in 75MHz of the 5.9GHz band. The technology is based on IEEE 802.11a (5.8 GHz wi-fi) but is designed specifically for vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-roadside communications, enabling vehicle safety, mobility, and environmental applications.

The protocol and message sets are being standardized through IEEE and SAE and all auto manufacturers are involved in developing the standards. Several auto manufacturers, not just Ford, are developing hardware and software utilizing these standards.

The standards development process has made every effort to anonymize the data. Driver and vehicle information is NOT sent over the air and the radio MAC Address is randomized to help prevent tracking. No system is 100% secure but every effort is being made to protect the vehicle and driver information. Also, some services will be “opt-in”, meaning you will have to authorize the vehicle to send certain data (just as you do on your smartphone).

The messages discussed in the article will not necessarily be encrypted but they will be authenticated to ensure they are from a “real” (valid) vehicle.

In 2013 the USDOT will decide whether to mandate this technology in vehicles, but several manufacturers, including Ford, are looking to integrate the technology with or with Federal Regulation.

It’s true that a certain vehicle penetration percentage is required to make the technology useful to the masses; however, installing the technology at the factory is not the only option. Several aftermarket suppliers are developing products that enable the technology. You will be able to purchase these devices from your local electronic store and have them installed in your existing vehicle. The technology could also be integrated into existing devices such as personal navigation systems and even cell phones.

Finally, there is a testbed in Metro Detroit (the first and largest in the country) that enables auto manufacturers and suppliers to test DRSC related hardware and software.

Status
Not open for further replies.