Solved! Format used MicroSD

May 22, 2018
Hello, I am a user of Samsung Galaxy J1 Express 3 running 6.0.1 Marshmallow. I am having a problem with my MicroSD memory card.

I want to format my used SD card as internal storage, because 8gigs is not good enough.

I am aware that you will need an empty SD, and I am willing to erase all my data because I backed it all up on Google Drive.

Things I need are:
-The 'set up sd card' popup with my used SD
-How to format into internal

Please avoid:
-Talking about the 'three dots' on the 'SD card' option, because I tried that method and there were no three sits.
- Not answering the question

Solution
Yeah, sadly some manufacturer's, as mentioned in the instructions, remove that option from the device. It comes with the original Android of that version (say 6.0 for example) but then the individual manufacturer's will sometimes restrict it. I can understand why they do it, but I figure if you are told the full spectrum of what you can and can't do with it, then allowed to do it. If you mess it up, that is on you. I also, however, know that people don't like to take responsibility for their actions, even when it is their fault. ;) LOL So, personally, I think they may do this to avoid the issues.
That method, the three dots which I am including the correct way to do it below, is the only way to do it. Unless you are going to root the device, which I would never recommend as it voids the warranty and can easily brick your device.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer. If that is the case, you will not be able to use this information.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option A

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option B

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

May 22, 2018

Hi,
I understand now that my Galaxy J1 can't format the SD card into internal storage, I've seen that method 100,000,000,000 times and now I am aware that it's only this solution because I haven't found any others.
Thanks for responding,
Billie

Yeah, sadly some manufacturer's, as mentioned in the instructions, remove that option from the device. It comes with the original Android of that version (say 6.0 for example) but then the individual manufacturer's will sometimes restrict it. I can understand why they do it, but I figure if you are told the full spectrum of what you can and can't do with it, then allowed to do it. If you mess it up, that is on you. I also, however, know that people don't like to take responsibility for their actions, even when it is their fault. ;) LOL So, personally, I think they may do this to avoid the issues.

Solution
May 22, 2018

I understand but that sure is a letdown. Thanks though.