Found a laptop

Solution
Quite some years back I did indeed find a laptop left on a commuter train.

Knew better than to turn it in to the station masters - no way it would ever get back to the real owner.

Laptop was password protected but I found some software online reference how to hack in and change the password. Found the necessary software and it actually worked!

Long story short I found some documents that identified the owner agency and a POC listing that appeared in multiple letters was the starting point.

Figured out the likely location of the owner and checked the telephone book listings (that long ago indeed....).

First phone call found the owner. Military, commissioned, and quite pleased to get my call. He was not far away and was soon at my...
Quite some years back I did indeed find a laptop left on a commuter train.

Knew better than to turn it in to the station masters - no way it would ever get back to the real owner.

Laptop was password protected but I found some software online reference how to hack in and change the password. Found the necessary software and it actually worked!

Long story short I found some documents that identified the owner agency and a POC listing that appeared in multiple letters was the starting point.

Figured out the likely location of the owner and checked the telephone book listings (that long ago indeed....).

First phone call found the owner. Military, commissioned, and quite pleased to get my call. He was not far away and was soon at my door to pickup the laptop.

Overall felt good about being to return the laptop - especially under the circumstances of the officer. And I learned my first lesson about laptop security, passwords, and hacking. Scary....

Owner was very near by and v

Solution