Fox Now Blocking Google TV Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Interesting. They claim it is because Google isn't filtering pirated content...so they pull out leaving the users with nothing but the pirated content to pick from.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hmm.. so if Google is going to show you the listing for this weeks new episode of Fringe on your local Fox affiliate, last weeks episode on Hulu.com, and a torrent of last weeks episode some guy posted to the web, Fox and Hulu would prefer you download that guys torrent? Why else would they block access to their websites?

Besides, GoogleTV is basically a computer with TV-input/output, for dummies. I have my own computer with 2 TV tuners connected to my HDTV with an HDMI cable. I can a lot more than I could with Google TV. Using the webbrowser, I can search the internet for streams of other programs I want to watch, I can visit Hulu.com, Youtube.com, Netflix.com, etc... Using BeyondTV, I can watch my cable TV (and record it to the harddrive in DivX format). I even have a wireless keyboard and mouse so I don't have to get up from my recliner to do all this.

These companies are responding like so many other companies, with their head so far up their hind ends they can't see what they're doing. Blocking GoogleTV stops nothing. Just like DRM. DRM is a headache to legitimate purchasers, while those who truly want to pirate the content break the DRM (I give it a couple weeks before hacked BluRay players start streaming out of China).

The networks and websites should be working with Google to help promote the service. They probably just want a bigger cut of Google's ad money, neglecting the fact that they could make their own ad money if they weren't blocking their product from the service.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Another sad situation of the misinformed making decisions based on poor information. Like Blockbuster NOT embracing instant streaming....or dvd-mailing....and where are they now?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Good...no..no...this is GREAT! Think about it for second...all those TV networks play nothing but trash and useless drivel anyways...basically an entertainment level a hair above the alternative of staring at the wall until it's time for bed.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
So how is this device really different from your pc. should fox block my pc because i can find alternate (re: pirate) content using google on it?

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hellwig has been making plenty of good points lately! If Faux and hulu won`t give me what I want, then the pirate bay will, that`s how consumer economics work Rupert!

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
They probably don't want Google's advertising (which WILL be present) from diluting their own advertising.
What a waste...all this focus on advertising masticates a massive moist movement...

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Hmm.. so if Google is going to show you the listing for this weeks new episode of Fringe on your local Fox affiliate, last weeks episode on Hulu.com, and a torrent of last weeks episode some guy posted to the web, Fox and Hulu would prefer you download that guys torrent? Why else would they block access to their websites?Besides, GoogleTV is basically a computer with TV-input/output, for dummies. I have my own computer with 2 TV tuners connected to my HDTV with an HDMI cable. I can a lot more than I could with Google TV. Using the webbrowser, I can search the internet for streams of other programs I want to watch, I can visit Hulu.com, Youtube.com, Netflix.com, etc... Using BeyondTV, I can watch my cable TV (and record it to the harddrive in DivX format). I even have a wireless keyboard and mouse so I don't have to get up from my recliner to do all this.These companies are responding like so many other companies, with their head so far up their hind ends they can't see what they're doing. Blocking GoogleTV stops nothing. Just like DRM. DRM is a headache to legitimate purchasers, while those who truly want to pirate the content break the DRM (I give it a couple weeks before hacked BluRay players start streaming out of China).The networks and websites should be working with Google to help promote the service. They probably just want a bigger cut of Google's ad money, neglecting the fact that they could make their own ad money if they weren't blocking their product from the service.[/citation]

Just to throw this out (again), the Logitech Revue doesn't even HAVE a screw-in cable input like a PC TV tuner would. You must have a cable box with HDMI output to get your cable lineup, so they get their money from that.
I still don't believe this is really about pirated content itself, but the fact GoogleTV gives you alternatives to a pricey cable service. Many consumers are still ignorant to all the options that are available on the internet, legal or not. Once you've been told every show you usually watch on cable is on Hulu, Netflix, or Youtube, why would you want to pay for cable? It's not because they allow pirated content, it's because of how EASY GoogleTV makes alternatives. GoogleTV is going to be the nerdy friend on the sofa of computer illiterates, going "hey, you know that's on Hulu for free right? Just click here!"

As stated though, it's going to happen whether they like it or not. Block the legal content and people will still search and get the illegal content.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
How are these networks blocking the Google TV? Are they blocking the chrome browser (I'd hope not, for their sake)? Or are they somehow differentiating between PC's using the chrome browser and a google tv doing the same? Just curious.

G

2 reasons this is happening:

1) Cable companies are mounting HUGE pressure on the networks to block google tv, as they are afraid of the precedent it sets. People will start using cable tv less and less to the point they realize they dont even need it. Just login to their google tv device and watch whatever they want, whenever they want, with relatively little to no commercials.

2) The television networks dont have the infrastructure in place to provide for a sudden surge in online viewership. They only anticipate roughly 10% of their viewers actually visit the website to view video content. Of those 10%, they only provide access to 1%, because they gamble on the chance of 10% ever actually viewing at the same time. With a surge in online viewing, up to 50% of their viewers will begin logging in, requiring them to upgrade their networks to support at least 25-30% of those in the even they are all logging in at the same time. They're just being cheap.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I don't get why they are all complaining.... I get Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS all for free through my antenna.... So if they make enough from ads to provide me an over the air signal for free AND enough bandwidth on my computer to stream some of their online content. Then WHY THE F won't they allow a little box that just connects to the internet to go to their website..... BIG FAIL.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
This sounds to me like somebody is pulling strings to make Google TV be a total failure. Although I don't know why one would buy google TV instead of a HTPC but whatever.
They are somewhat correct in that google does display torrents and sites like surfthechannel in the first page when you search an episode, sometimes even before hulu, but banning Google TV isn't going to make that go away.
Evolution through cooperation people!!! BAh

weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I'm sure one can just install an app on Google TV to make the browser lie to the websites and say that it's actually a desktop PC running IE or FF.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I see where this is going :

"Let's do a search for Desperate Housewives. Hmm... lesbians. Okay, let's do a search for Prison Break. Hmm... more lesbians. Okay, this is ridiculous. Let's try Sesame Street. Oh my god those are nasty lesbians!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS