Foxconn Employee Kills Self Over Missing iPhone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Foxconn's Central Security Division"

WTF, why does a mobo manufacturer have FBI/CIA like force? I don't think i'll ever look at one of their board the same way now.

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
It seems that many news portions of websites nowadays need to issue mandatory classes to its staff regarding the proper formation of titles.

G

To those of you who are boycotting Foxconn's motherboards: That's all well and good, but what about everything Foxconn is contracted to manufacture? Last I heard Intel's motherboards were made by Foxconn. Are you iPhone users gonna throw out your phones and boycott Apple too? If you can't go all the way, then your boycott is somewhat meaningless. Considering how much stuff is made in China, I think we'd be boycotting almost all of our electronics if we really cared about the work conditions in that country.

jutune

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I think a lot of people here don't understand the size/scale of Foxconn and why they need their own security. Foxconn has multiple factories in China, Brazil, Europe, India, Japan, Malaysia, and Mexico. On their factories in China...straight from wikipedia:

Foxconn has 13 factories in nine Chinese cities - more than in any other country.
Foxconn's largest factory worldwide is in Longhua, Shenzhen, where hundreds of thousands of workers(estimated counts between 230,000 and 450,000 people) are employed at the Longhua Science & Technology Park, a walled campus sometimes referred to as "Foxconn City" or "iPod City". Covering about 1.16 square miles, it includes 15 factories, worker dormitories, a swimming pool, a fire brigade, its own television network (Foxconn TV), and a city centre with a grocery store, bank, restaurants, bookstore, and hospital. While some workers live in surrounding towns and villages, others live and work inside the complex; a quarter of the employees live in the dormitories, and many of them work up to 12 hours a day for 6 days each week. Another of Foxconn's factory "cities" is Zhengzhou Technology Park in Zhengzhou, Henan province, where it is reported 120,000 employees work.

When you have this many people in a small area like that, it's going to be a bit crazy. I also think that they are "a little too big" to be affected by any boycotts started by the "emotional mindless internet rants" posted here.

jutune

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I think a lot of people here don't understand the size/scale of Foxconn and why they need their own security. Foxconn has multiple factories in China, Brazil, Europe, India, Japan, Malaysia, and Mexico. On their factories in China...straight from wikipedia:

Foxconn has 13 factories in nine Chinese cities - more than in any other country.
Foxconn's largest factory worldwide is in Longhua, Shenzhen, where hundreds of thousands of workers(estimated counts between 230,000 and 450,000 people) are employed at the Longhua Science & Technology Park, a walled campus sometimes referred to as "Foxconn City" or "iPod City". Covering about 1.16 square miles, it includes 15 factories, worker dormitories, a swimming pool, a fire brigade, its own television network (Foxconn TV), and a city centre with a grocery store, bank, restaurants, bookstore, and hospital. While some workers live in surrounding towns and villages, others live and work inside the complex; a quarter of the employees live in the dormitories, and many of them work up to 12 hours a day for 6 days each week. Another of Foxconn's factory "cities" is Zhengzhou Technology Park in Zhengzhou, Henan province, where it is reported 120,000 employees work.

When you have this many people in a small area like that, it's going to be a bit crazy. I also think that they are "a little too big" to be affected by any boycotts started by the "emotional mindless internet rants" posted here.

jutune

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.