FPS drop after 10 mins of gaming

Feb 3, 2019
my problem is acting like a nightmare to me and actually pissing off my life.. i have a new gaming laptop which is 3 month old a dell inspiron 7577 i7 7700 HQ with 16gbs of ram and gtx 1060 6gb max-q GPU, everything was running perfectly fine till i started getting fps drops after playing for 10 mins just like witcher 3 when i start the game its at 60 constant fps then it drops to 30 and swings between 30 and 7 FPS which is unplayable this showed up like two weeks ago i have been trying to find a solution for this but i am actually about to give up.. i tried to clean install my driver and i tried the latest version, an old version and another intermediate version..i have the latest version of all of my laptop drivers and latest version of windows 10 installed.. i tried undervolting my CPU with intel xtu, tried looking for a malware or any virus using 3 anti-virus programs and nothing my
CPU temperature while gaming is around 94'C and my GPU is constant at 84'C.. please guys try to help me with this if you can ... :(

JMR120600

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Your CPU Temp is nearing the max 'safe' temp, your PC will be thermal throttling as it cannot keep cool enough, Undervolting likely won't do much other than make your system unstable, Is this something which has just started happening recently?

Feb 3, 2019

well, yeah it has been happening just since only a week ago and i contacted dell warranty, they have no idea what FPS is and all they told me to do is to run the ePSA test in the boot menu to check my hardware( it didn't even check the cooling system efficiency so no errors was gonna show up they told me if nothing showed up then its a software issue... iam totally annoyed from this

sizzling

Distinguished
You are going to have to persue this with Dell. Tell them it’s because the cpu is overheating and if they don’t understand get them to escalate, I’d also recommend putting it in writing to them.

Unfortunately this issue is really common with gaming laptops, the cooling solutions are often barely adequate and as soon as the slightest amount of dust builds up they stop being sufficient. The coolers are designed for minimum cost or fitting into a slimmer design or both and really not up to the job, this is where often the more expensive gaming laptops from gaming brands come in not their own. I’d be aiming to return the laptop as this problem is highly likely to reoccure even with a replacement, you really want to move to a model with better cooling design.

Feb 3, 2019
If i asked them to change the thermal paste will that be a solution? The only thing is the laptop is only 2 month old.. opening it and changing the thermal paste as if its a 3 years old laptop.. thats sad...

sizzling

Distinguished
Don’t change the thermal paste, it will likely void the warranty and is unlikely to be a long term fix as I highly doubt the paste is the cause. You need to be stubborn and insist there is an issue, it didn’t do this when new. Maybe record the cpu throttling and the temperature while gaming. Not sure what else to suggest, you need Dell to own the problem.

Feb 3, 2019

problem is they are like okay send us your laptop and we will check it and send it in around 2 weeks and a month if an issue is found so iam supposed to spend at least 2 weeks without a laptop and screw my college and everything and in the end they will just resend it saying it has nothing wrong with its hardware.. iam totally fed from dell