Frozen on Asus start up screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukep95

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Title says it all. I've tried nearly every trick I could find online and from friends to possibly clear this or get BIOS up. Been unsuccessful in all cases...

Haven't installed any updates in about a week - nothing externally is connected such as SD card/USB/HDMI/DVD.

Laptop is an Asus N53SM running Win7 64bit.

Ay tips on what could get it at least past the start up screen or into BIOS? Or maybe a piece of hardware that's gone inoperative causing this?

Cheers,
Luke

Solution
Try unplugging charger, remove battery, press power button for 10 or more seconds, replace battery, plug in charger, and give it a try - if it sticks again - hold power button down till it shuts down then start again (and cross fingers ;) )

CLC Morocco

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Before anything else, make sure the hard drive hasn't come unplugged. This means opening the thing up and visually checking. This can happen if the computer is bumped, for example. There's undoubtedly a little video showing how to open up your laptop to look.

When you look at that, also take a look at the little white flat data cable and make sure that's OK. On my Asus X501a, this cable lies directly on the hard drive. When the HD gets hot, there's a strong chance of this cable getting partially or completely damaged.

Either of these things will result in your computer behaving as if it didn't have a hard drive.

ani53008

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

It's sounds crazy but our computer was stuck on the boot up screen (bios) and we couldn't figure it out then my brother unplugged his iPod which he had plugged in before the computer had come to that screen while it was in mid process and it started up perfectly! I have no idea what it was but it seemed like it was plugging in the device in mid process

micki0511

Estimable
Apr 24, 2015

Im seriously having the same problen right now.. and reading your story brought me back to a month ago my laptop shut off on me with out any warning.. tried to get it back on just a black screen.. i let it sit for a month unplugged.. 2 days ago i tried to turn it on and it came on running smoothly.. then shuts down again.. im so confused as to why but ima it sit over night.. we shall see what happens

colgale

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Well, after a lot of enquiry and trial and frustration I left it switched on all day and into the next day and it came good. Now working normally. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.