FTC Privacy Rules Expand to Protect Kids on Social Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Or you could just keep your 10 year old off of facebook entirely, like any parent worth a damn.[/citation]

But then if they sneak off and make a FB account without you knowing, how are you suppose to monitor them?

That's the fun part about parenting. What to ban, and what to monitor.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]But then if they sneak off and make a FB account without you knowing, how are you suppose to monitor them?That's the fun part about parenting. What to ban, and what to monitor.[/citation]
so you prefer big brother to monitor and categorize them... wonderful!!!!
there's nothing quite like setting your child up for having been constantly monitored and recorded from birth.. good parenting there!

as to the law change... it appears to give less privacy to children and more power to corporate data collection... and thusly govt data collection. no surprise there

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
A good parent would teach the kids WHY facebook et.all are not safe to use. Not just say 'no' and trust their command will be obeyed. I'm sick of lazy parents. I have a 19 year old of my own and two new twins myself. But I agree this seems to take away privacy and give data collectors more power. Hence why you should AVOID these so-called 'social' sites all together. Try playing with your kids instead of sitting them in front of a 'device' to entertain them... Heaven forbid we have to act like parents to our children and try to guide and educate them.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]But then if they sneak off and make a FB account without you knowing, how are you suppose to monitor them?[/citation]

There are ways of monitoring them.....

I mean come on.... I could create an entire list of ways to watch what they do and 99% of them have been around for good number of YEARS.

Just a few of the simple ones are: to scan there history logs and use software to blocks sites.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
A lot of these sites say you have to be 14 to register. That's a bit young. Try 16. Usually if someone has made it to that age without whoring themselves out, they probably never will. Until then, they're vulnerable.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom] to scan there history logs and use software to blocks sites.[/citation]

This is a joke right?

I knew how to get around this 10 years ago when I was a kid.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]This is a joke right?I knew how to get around this 10 years ago when I was a kid.[/citation]
There are ways to make it much harder to get around them and your average kid is about as educated with computer stuff as your average adult (not very). That whole thing about kids being smarter with technology is not true, they might be able to learn the basic programs faster but advanced stuff is still beyond most of them just like it is beyond most adults. Logs and histories can be backed up so even if cleared you have a log and website blocking can be done from certain DNS Servers or from routers themselves, also making use of Group Policy and permissions will make it so kids can't change anything. It is very possible to limit what a kid can and can't do on a computer it just takes some research and time which some people don't seem willing to do if they can just blame things on others instead.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Or you could just keep your 10 year old off of facebook entirely, like any parent worth a damn.[/citation]

who are you to judge what kind of parent some one else is or isn't ???

Status
Not open for further replies.