FTC Puts Smackdown on Spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Spamee

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
"While the FTC is frantically working hard to eliminate spam altogether...". You are JOKING, right?

The FTC has been slower than a snail in molasses to do anything at all about spammers, and on the rare occasions that they do actually catch one, the spammers get a fine which is a tiny proportion of their illegally-made profits.

A great way to control these American criminal scammers, isn't it? Do your readers know that a Canadian woman *died* from taking spammer drugs? Yet the US authorities manage to slap a spammer on the wrist about once a year.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Interesting insinuation that the FTC is on anti-virus company payrolls, or that somehow the government views them as an important economic engine to keep alive by allowing spam to continue.

Somehow, I find this a bit far fetched. I think it is more likely that the agency either does not have the proper funding or lacks agents with the skills needed to combat this new 'threat'.

Myself, I never expect miracles out of any agency (govenment or non-governmental organization). However, it is definitely nice to see one victory under the FTC's belt.

G

As an admin of multiple domains at work, I've forwarded thousands of SPAM e-mails to the FTC in the past (years ago). I bulk forwarded them as one e-mail with each SPAM e-mail as an attachment. I've tried calling my ISP about SPAM. I've looked into who owned the IP address of the server sending the e-mail (if the header was correct) and found most out of country. So we can't as small businesses and individuals go after these people due to a lack of resources or any rights to do anything (especially if out of country). I'm disappointed that our federal government doesn't recognize the publicized cost to businesses and how it is hurting our economy. SPAM needs to stop. The internet is not for free to infringe on others systems and connections. If businesses got 10,000 pieces junk postal mail in a week there would be more lawsuits. Don't censor the web, but go after those that exploit it and forge information to entice victims while stealing resources without permission (internet access costs money, unecessary SPAM filter software costs money and is inaccurate sometimes, mail servers take computing resources that cost money, taking over computers without consent to send SPAM).

G

Where's the DEA? This is a drug issue blatantly in their face (with victims to a crime). Another story mentioned they found regulated drugs with potential for low bloodpressure issues when the website and product did not list these ingredients. Yet the DEA goes after individual users of recreational drugs (victimless crime). Let's redirect this crime fiting to what will help the country and economy rather than political and personal vendeta's.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]anon4[/nom]Where's the DEA? This is a drug issue blatantly in their face (with victims to a crime). Another story mentioned they found regulated drugs with potential for low bloodpressure issues when the website and product did not list these ingredients. Yet the DEA goes after individual users of recreational drugs (victimless crime). Let's redirect this crime fiting to what will help the country and economy rather than political and personal vendeta's.[/citation]

Lol victimless.... Any go somewhere else for your pot supporting you idiot.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Eh, I don't mind E-mail SPAM, and rarely does my SPAM filter not catch it.

What does really annoy me is instant messaging bots. There is no filtering system for IM bots, and IM spam. I would much prefer that stopped before e-mail SPAM did.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]A Spamee[/nom]"While the FTC is frantically working hard to eliminate spam altogether...". You are JOKING, right? The FTC has been slower than a snail in molasses to do anything at all about spammers, and on the rare occasions that they do actually catch one, the spammers get a fine which is a tiny proportion of their illegally-made profits.A great way to control these American criminal scammers, isn't it? Do your readers know that a Canadian woman *died* from taking spammer drugs? Yet the US authorities manage to slap a spammer on the wrist about once a year.[/citation]

I certainly hope by your statement you are simplyreferring to the spammers that are in the US, and not ignoring the fact that there are just as many spammers in other countries...

That and, while I certainly feel for anyone who is hurt by these awful people (that are in US and other places)...taking anything you got online from one of these places is kind of like going to a 3rd world country for cheap plastic surgery. Buyers have some responsibility too. There wouldn't be money in spam advertising if people stopped clicking on shit in their inbox and ordering cheap meds, fake rolexes, and vitamins re-labled as wonder penis in a bottle.

A Spamee

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Hi nekatreven,

Yes I know that spam gets sent from all over the planet, mostly China, but the majority of it originates from scammers in the USA.

We are absolutely in agreement that if gullible suckers didn't keep responding to the ludicrous scams which arrive in their e-mail in-boxes, the spammers would not be in business and we wouldn't have this problem.

Unfortunately there's one born every minute and the scammers know it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.