FTC to Crack Down on Companies Bribing Bloggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I bet that is a problem. Very sad...at the same time, crap I'd take a bribe too!!! How can they stop this? Money talks.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
While as a consumer I would want to know if a positive review was based on some kind of compensation rather than the merits of the product in question... I am concerned with the amount of power this would seem to give the FTC to 'police' the internets....

emverham

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Does accepting a free version of the product for review constitute compensation? hmmm... I can hear the ethical wheels spinning now.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Sounds good. Do they do anything like this for movie reviews? Cause some of those reviews have to be done because of some sort of compensation.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
This is endemic in society today -- drug companies "sponsoring" clinical trials to determine the safety and effectiveness of their drugs, for example. It seems everyone has an agenda, and that agenda is no longer honesty and transparency and "a level playing field". Like another comment here, I cannot see this being effectively regulated, except by tracking down and prosecuting a few "offenders" to keep the others scared and relatively honest. (Like the RIAA lawsuits for file sharing and the same way the IRS operates.) I guess I'd have to say "good luck" to the government, but I'm not hopeful. It will take a fundamental change in western culture to achieve effectiveness, and that means a few generations. . .ho hum.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
While I do think its a good idea for the government to regulate this somewhat, I would much rather see the government exert more effort into finding and killing email spammers.

jroussin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I love Obama's administration...we must protect everyone from these biased reviews! Come on really? This is the big government that doesn't feel that WE are responsible enough to take care of ourselves. I'm not going to check multiple websites for information if I really am interested in a product so I can get the best information together and make an informed decision.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I think the best thing people can do is just avoid blog reviews, and do there own research and only read reviews on well known trusted sites. I think most salesman are b.s. I actually am a salesman, and I am a geek, computer builder, modder, and I don't trust most salesman. U ever walk into a store, and have a salesman try to sell u a geforce 5200 and tell u how good it is, when u know the best card is a geforce gtx285? I feel sorry for people who get ripped off, and don't do research, cuz they think there computer is fast, when it's actually super slow...I sell a lot of stuff in our store. But I have customers come back, because I am honest when I sell. If it's good, I tell them it's good, and back up my self with evidence, if it's crap, I tell them. I make a lot more on return customers then I do on the one time sale. The most common myth I here is people afraid to buy plasma TV's cuz they run out of plasma, and need to be recharded once a year. I bet the person who came up with this only had lcd's in his shop. Now it's like mass belief. Whenever I buy something, I do my research, read articles, google it, if it's in the store, i go and play with it, whatever I have to do. I never just read a single blog, and go out and buy something. Yeah, I think it's good they are gonna try and do something about this. But, at the same time, I don't think it's gonna do anything. They need to educate consumers on how to research products, and how to buy better.

Status
Not open for further replies.