Fujitsu Surrenders iPad to Apple Just Before Launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]i disagree. these are scared business people, bullied into the corner by Jobs and Co.There is NO reason for Fujitsu to give up a name (and thereby undergo the cost on their side to rename products, service center management on said device, etc) unless they were coerced in some way. Of course there was money on the table, but I think that there are enough decent judges out there for fujitsu to have felt confident enough to be able to take this the whole way, without fearing years of back and forth in court. I would even go as far as to say, that it wouldnt surprise me if the big guns at fujitsu all got little warnings of some kind or another...hints at what would happen if they didnt play nice with "friendly" apple (who sues every1 else for anything anyways).down with apple.[/citation]

Why in the world would Fujitsu want to go through all of this legal mess just to hold onto a name for a niche product they trademarked back in 2003? You don't know the sum of money Apple paid but I am pretty confident it includes a number following by at least 7. I know for sure that Fujitsu isn't paying anything out of pocket to change their product line to a different name or they wouldn't have done it.

This sort of thing happens all the time but you people only get up in arms when Apple does it. Then you have the balls to call anyone who buys Apple products "idiots."

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I thought the name was terrible but I guess Apple loves it if they are willing to buy it from Fujitsu.

Wonder if anyone holds rights to iPon for when they make a smaller version. ;)

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]aethm[/nom]Does it really matter what it's called if nobody buys one?[/citation]

They all ready sold out preorders and may have to delay the release to keep up with demand.

braindonor75

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I think Fujitsu is going to wait until Thursday then send Apple a memo saying "Ha Ha, April fools, you can't really have the name, we going to sue you instead."

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]i disagree. these are scared business people, bullied into the corner by Jobs and Co.There is NO reason for Fujitsu to give up a name [/citation]

Yes there was, a lot of $$$. Fujitsu isn't stupid. If you had the trademark you woulda sold it too, deny it all you want, but I'd rather have money in my pocket.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Apple representative hands Fujitsu representative the check, "Say, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you guys ever do anything with the 'iPad' name?"

The Fujitsu representative folds the check neatly, and places it into his coat pocket. The man scrunches his eyebrows, purses his lips, looks off to the left, and after a moment, resolved that he has found the proper answer to the Apple representative's question he reveals the undeniable truth behind Fujitsu's feet dragging in regard to 'iPad', and he says, "It was a stupid name. Starbucks?"

G

Fujitsu should license it out to Apple...

If it's a big success, both teams win.

If it's not, nobody loses.

*sarcasm*

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I don't think that Fuji is particularly intimidated by Apple. You do realize that they own Subaru plus all of their electronics divisions (including XEROX).

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]wayneepalmer[/nom]I don't think that Fuji is particularly intimidated by Apple. You do realize that they own Subaru plus all of their electronics divisions (including XEROX).[/citation]

amen to that , every oent alks about this apple and fuji thing liek fuji are the small fish , well enwflash for you folks fuji is a large enough coorp tehy could eat apple several tiems over

cammmy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dawgsoverrebs[/nom]They should have just changed the name instead of going with a name that makes people think of a feminine product, a name that was already taken. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.p [...] d=41828578btw im about to go trademark the names for everything apple could make in the future. iCar iWatch iScreen etc.[/citation]

Do it!!! That will be hilarious.

G

oent? alks? liek? enwflash? tehy? tiems? what on earth are you on about?

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]amen to that , every oent alks about this apple and fuji thing liek fuji are the small fish , well enwflash for you folks fuji is a large enough coorp tehy could eat apple several tiems over[/citation]

http://www.fentek-ind.com/bigkey.htm

Maybe one of those will help...

Status
Not open for further replies.