Full Specs for Powerful Google Nexus Prime Revealed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]it looks like its going to be an awesome phone, but im not very interested in it. I just feel 4.65 inch phone is too big for a phone.[/citation]
That size is just about right for my hand, even an Evo seems a bit small for me, but then I have big hands :/

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]it looks like its going to be an awesome phone, but im not very interested in it. I just feel 4.65 inch phone is too big for a phone.[/citation]

There are no physical buttons (Home key, talk, end, etc.) and are replaced by the bottom .25" of the screen instead, so I don't think it'll be much bigger than most smartphones today.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Primeonly27[/nom]Will it be a free phone with out a contract?What is the suggested retail price?[/citation]

Why would ANY phone be free without a contract??

Since Verizon likes to charge more for their phones (even on contract) i'd say that the Prime will cost 299$ for a 2 year contract and 700-800$ out right.

xtremeways

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Im impressed with the specs but seeing that its curved I would have to pass. I cant imagine it would fit well in my pocket

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jwcalla[/nom]If you can't make a phone call with a phone, you're doing something wrong.[/citation]
I think I heard that before...maybe thousands of users and I were holding it wrong.
I was getting no signal and the battery would die by 3pm after charging it the whole night.
Went back to my 15 months old HTC G2 which have never given me any issues and still the battery lasts the whole day. Even after dropping it a couple of times.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
5mp rumour, then saying 8mp to try and make us feel better?
Very poor, very very poor
I would expect a flagship device to have a flagship camera, has already been around for some time so I would expect that as a minimum and to surprise us maybe even 14mp.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]5mp rumour, then saying 8mp to try and make us feel better?...Very poor, very very poor...I would expect a flagship device to have a flagship camera, has already been around for some time so I would expect that as a minimum and to surprise us maybe even 14mp.[/citation]

So far Nokia N8 has been the only flagship with a flagship camera.

hpram99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
1. I don't care how big the camera is. 5MP is more than enough if the sensor and lens is of decent quality. No one is printing any 8x10 photos from their phone.
2. Why with the damned narrow screen? 16:10 gives a significant improvement of useable screen space. Its a smartphone not a mini tv.

It's just a numbers race anymore.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
we don't need faster phones, we need better batteries...i would love to see a 3000mAh battery...it can be done...they need to stop being lazy and do it....take a look at how small the components on a motherboard when compared to the first computers....IBM computers needed a couple of rooms for the hardware....

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]So far Nokia N8 has been the only flagship with a flagship camera.[/citation]
Yes, so far, this hasn't been released yet and the rumour mill says it has 3 year old camera tech? Why?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]If it has the PowerVR GPU this beast will run rings around the new iPhone 4S. Th iPhone 4S likely won't be clocked higher than 850MHz (based on it having the same battery and battery life as iPhone4, but with iPad 2's SoC).[/citation]

Yes, a phone which doesn't exist yet and of which we know no specifications whatsoever will 'run rings' around a phone which has the same GPU (assuming the prime even has it), because we'll just guess a random number underclock and declare it as fact.
/end sarcasm

What we do know so far is that the iPhone 4S runs rings around the Galaxy S2.

I wonder if the 5 megapixel camera will run rings around the iPhone 4S camera? I remember when iPhone 4s specs were announcd 8 megapixel camera was seen as 'backward' and Apple playing 'catch-up'. Talk about ridiculous double standards.. lol

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]THIS is how you do a successor! *points at apple[/citation]

With a 5 megapixel camera and the PowerVR SGX543MP2?

Isn't the iPhonr 4s an 8 megapixel camera with the PowerVR SGX543MP2?

Oh yes and it's not a brick :p

So sorry, what were you saying?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'that will work alongside the same dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU that's found in the iPad 2'

Should read:

'that will work alongside the same dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU that's found in the iphone 4S'

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]With a 5 megapixel camera and the PowerVR SGX543MP2?Isn't the iPhonr 4s an 8 megapixel camera with the PowerVR SGX543MP2?Oh yes and it's not a brick So sorry, what were you saying?[/citation]
Well have to wait and see what hardware it will have under the hood, but in all likelihood it will have a 8mpx camera or more. This phone it will be not only google's flagship phone, but also samsung's, and the current samsung flagship phone, the galaxy s 2, has an 8mpx camera.

Also most recent rumors points to an 8mpx sensor.

Again if rumors are true this will have the same cpu as a iPhone 4S/iPad 2 but with a faster cpu, but we'll have to wait and see.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The GSMArena specs are rather decent for a phone that's announced now and probably will become available December/January. That's because SHARP and Fujitsu are both set to launch a phone with identical feature set as Nexus Prime in January.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]5mp rumour, then saying 8mp to try and make us feel better?...Very poor, very very poor...I would expect a flagship device to have a flagship camera, has already been around for some time so I would expect that as a minimum and to surprise us maybe even 14mp.[/citation]
It's not always about megapixels you know, the lens system they use can also have a large impact on overall picture quality.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
The Nexus is an excellent phone. But the difference between the specs , particularly the camera, is big. If the higher specs are true, I hope the price doesn't suffer very much

Status
Not open for further replies.