G1 Unlocked: It Was Only a Matter of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I hate when they lock phones for networks. Luckily I have AT&T and wanted an iPhone, so it worked out. I shouldn't have to hack my phone so I can use it on the network I choose.

Hatchet

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I'm pretty sure T-mobile will actually give you the unlock code for free if you call and ask them for it. they gave me mine for the MDA.

JonnyGB

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
You really do need to unlock your phone if you need to travel overseas and want to use any of the well prices prepaid data cards. I would vote to make phone locking illegal. Imagine you bought a car and only were allowed to fill up at a certain gas chain?

Jonny jonny@cryptoheaven.com

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Im not sure about the G1 running Andriod, but I have had a few HTC phones running Windows mobile and they are extremely easy to hack and unlock. I just checked, and it looks like forum.xda-developers.com has everything you need to hack you HTC phone. The G1 codename is the Dream.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't like the idea of locked phones either, but usually the network locking is done because of discounts on the phone. Plus in the case of the G1, it's a T-Mobile branded phone, that's like buying a Playstation and complaining Sony won't let you play XBox games.

That was the big problem with the iPhone though. Even though you were locked with AT&T, Apple was not giving AT&T a discount. Meaning original iPhone buyers paid the full price of the phone ($700), and were still locked into a deal with AT&T. I say, if you pay full price, you should get to use the network of your choice. If you receive a $300 discount on the price of the phone with a contract, then that's the tradeoff you have accepted for a locked phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.