G51J out of stock/faulty? G51JX better or not?

alcomplex

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi,

Before Christmass I started a thread here asking whether people could recommend me a laptop based on my specificiations.

I ended up settling for the ASUS G51J-A1 with the additional edit of swapping one hard drive with a 60G SSD.

However they were sold out world wide and I had to wait till January to get one.

After enquiring how the order was going yesterday, the place I ordered from p4laptops.com notified me that:

"We have just had word this morning that the G51IJ is end of Life from Asus - they will not be supplying it any more. There is a new model G51 coming out shortly to replace it, The G51JX. I will have a firm ETA later today, it is likely to be the same price with slightly better specs. We will be putting it online later today/tomorrow.

Please supply your Bank details for the refund of your deposit and I will make sure it is done."

Is the G51J really out of stock and is the G51JX actually better. From what im reading online the new model only has one hard drive and a completely different model graphics card.

This is driving me mad but I'm glad I didn't get the old model because it appears to have had alot of issues.

I dunno about the G51J being out of stock, you could always try another seller like XoticPC if you want. And from what I can tell the JX might actually have worse performance. It comes with the GTX 360M which looks like it will be ranked lower than the GTX 260M in performance.

SlimJimTight

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I'm going throuh the same thing. It is sold out everywhere. All retailers canceled my orders this week. I was goin to settle for the M15x but it is too expensive. The G51JX replaces it, confirmed by the sales reps and research. I need a this laptop asap for school :D. They had 2 in stock yesterday at thegeeks.net but someone already ordered them -.-.

alcomplex

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Yeh the video card 360M is not as good as the 260M GTX but the 360M comes with ddr5 mem. From my research even with the newer ram the 360M is if anything on just as good as the 260M GTX

Also your down one hard drive.

Yay? I think not. lol

Any ideas btw I'm from Australia.

alcomplex

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Hey mate yeh our situation sucks. I want mine before uni starts so I can get some game time in before I once again lose my life. You don't want the G51J-A1 because its been having blue screen errors all over the joint. Google "G51J A1 blue screen". Either get the new model or wait for something better/look at clevo or metabox (same thing).

I hate my life lol.

alcomplex

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Yes. We were lucky in the way that p4laptops was not able to secure us a laptop from the first/second shipment so they infact cannot supply us with one anyway. They seem to wish to give us the 51Jx but from what I've read its really a downgrade. I think its back to the drawing board. I want to see if there is someone in sydney who can supply clevo with a local warranty service deal. Its a shame but the specs on the G51J-A1 looked like heaven and the Full HD screen : (

format13

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Im in the same boat as you. I was eyeing the G51J-A1 for a while, waiting for a good sale, and out of nowhere, theyre all gone!!!

:/

Oh well, you might want to check out the Toshiba X505-Q830. That is my close second choice.

alcomplex

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

I will! I'm up for any recommendations atm. You might find a G51J-A1 on ebay but you don't want them they are faulty.

alcomplex

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Hey thanks for the advice. Already looked at alienware but the consensus is it just really isn't good value for your money.

I think I will go with the clevo/sager/metabox w860 even though its expensive it will be a great machine.

Funny as that is what you initially recommended and I could have had it by now.

Josea

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, the g51j is back ordered like a month and a half on XoticPC. I tried to buy one before Christmas but I'm very glad I didn't, since the G73jh came out :) If it's not dire necessary I'd just wait and see what all comes out. They might put a 5870 in a 15" laptop, but I have no idea how big the card is. It might not even be possible. The 360 gts is just a rebranded card (again) and it's performance is a bit under the 260m as previously stated.

Don't rush it though. Wait till at least February and see what all new comes out. You might be surprised.