Gadget Doctor: How We’d Fix The Zune HD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I was going to buy it for the HD radio alone. Then I found out Best Buy had a portable one for 50 bux. Then I found out that HD radio sucked. So I now have a Sansa Clip+. It will do, until they come out with a Sansa Clip with HD radio.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Yes to FLAC support. That Oleophobic Screen sounds good too.

Not interested in camera. Not interested in microphone.

spacefrog

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
You are missing some important points and i dont agree witzh some points:
- SmartDj for Zune HD
- .mkv support

I dont see a point in internal speaker. I think they should get removed because the only People using those speakers are kidz in public places / buses listening to their crap hiptop annyoing everyone.
A camera is useless without a real zoom and a flash. Save the space for something usefull.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Some good comments here! Glad to see we hit most of the points you guys were interested in, though apparently more video support (via MKV) and audio support (FLAC) is a point of contention as well. Video support has dramatically increased since the last update, and the Zune player will transcode any videos that the Zune HD cannot natively play for you (and the proces is sadly slow...why not use the videocard for transcription Microsoft?!), but it works. However, FLAC support is really unnecessary, I think, unless you're looking at a 128GB+ device.

I also spoke with Microsoft concerning apps at GDC, and learned that there are currently no plans to update the Zune HD to the Windows 7 Mobile 4.0 XNA SDK, meaning any applications made for WinMo7 will not be available for the Zune HD, unless developers intentionally make their applications work on both 4.0 and 3.1. They assured us that doing so is a possibility, but that it isn't the direction they're currently heading.

G

One feature I'd love to see in the Zune is a DLNA client. I have a media server with 1.5TB of media sitting on it. It would be sweet to just hook up my Zune to my 600W home theater receiver and stream the songs of the server. I currently use my PS3 to do the same, but I really don't want to turn on the PS3 & big screen just to listen to a few tunes. A DLNA client for the Zune would be awesome.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I bought the first zune, and was a piece of crap, they doesn’t work in my country, I bought the US version an the software needs a tweaks for install in a Spanish version of windows.
Why limited the zune for some countrys?

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Desverger[/nom]One feature I'd love to see in the Zune is a DLNA client. I have a media server with 1.5TB of media sitting on it. It would be sweet to just hook up my Zune to my 600W home theater receiver and stream the songs of the server. I currently use my PS3 to do the same, but I really don't want to turn on the PS3 & big screen just to listen to a few tunes. A DLNA client for the Zune would be awesome.[/citation]

Not a bad idea, but it won't happen. The Zune HD dock works just as well, plugging in via optical or HDMI, and I love using that, though I really don't use my entertainment center as often as I used to. Instead, I'm at my desktop, with now better speakers, and of course the Zune software running my media.

G

I think the internal speakers could have its uses. Specifically I have an tech intern that does projector installs late at night. He is the only one in the building and it would be nice to just set the Zune down and play music without being up on the ladder and having headphone cords everywhere.

Also my wife and I take walks all the time and putting the zune in my front jacket pocket with an internal speaker would be nice as well.

I think there are plenty of times I could use it without being intrusive to others, but I shouldn't be penalized b/c stupid kids can't keep their music down in public places.

As for the finger prints. I have an Invisible Shield on mine from Zagg.com / Best Buy and I don't notice the fingerprints that much at all.

My *biggest* complaint is the lack of car integration. I use the Zune in the car %90 of the time. Have an RCA to 3.5mm cable coming from the back of the Head Unit. You have no charging directly and you have to turn the Zune up to liek 26 before you can get decent sound. Is it so much to ask for a car dock of any kind? The FM modulator is crap. I just want to get in and dock the Zune and have an auxiliary output into the back of my Head Unit. The modulator has an aux out, but paying $80 for a aux out is crazy.

And yes, I'll agree with every Zune owner. Make some type of a iPod -> Zune adapter. If Microsoft could get a Zune compatible with all iPod device it would be heaven.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
@btiller03 that's a great point. I hate having to turn the sound up every time when I plug the Zune HD into my car's 3.5mm, one of the most annoying things with the device.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Just an FYI to everyone, the Windows Mobile 7 SDK just went live and is free. You can check it out here: http://developer.windowsphone.com/

G

Zune HD + Macbook Pro owner here, and incredibly happy.

What's kinda funny is, the Zune HD and the MBP actually looks strikingly familiar - almost like they are long lost cousins. And both, without a doubt, are best of breed devices. I just wanna use my Zune software on my Mac; it's miles ahead of iTunes.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]BIG_MONKEY[/nom]Zune HD + Macbook Pro owner here, and incredibly happy. What's kinda funny is, the Zune HD and the MBP actually looks strikingly familiar - almost like they are long lost cousins. And both, without a doubt, are best of breed devices. I just wanna use my Zune software on my Mac; it's miles ahead of iTunes.[/citation]

They look similar? In what way? I didn't see it when taking pictures, but then again, I don't own a macbook pro.

ButtonBoy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I want MSFT to do a better job of evangelism to third party firms. Apple has them beat on this issue hands down. I want to have great third party support for my Zunes- from hardware AND software companies.

There should be an API for outside firms to put media onto the Zune, and an API for native applications, including games.

Status
Not open for further replies.