Galaxy S 1 issues

sellout94

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
I recently inherited a Galaxy S from a friend of mine. It came with the cyanogen mod installed and I believe it is also rooted. After doing the factory reset I have been having horribly slow performance, connectivity issues with both wifi and ATT network, and using chrome has been a massive pain.

My question is should i upgrade the cyanogen mod? (version 4.1.1) or wipe the phone completely and return it to factory and upgrade from there?

Solution

I was running cyanogenmod on my Galaxy S until I upgraded phones earlier this year. The problem is the Galaxy S only has 512 MB of RAM, and Android 4.0-4.3 uses nearly 400 MB of it. So you fire up a couple apps, the phone is out of memory and begins using all its CPU cycles to shut down apps in the background, and everything slows to a crawl.

I would try upgrading to cyanogenmod 11 first. That's based on Android 4.4 (Kit Kat), which Google has been optimizing to reduce its memory footprint. Supposedly it's small enough now that it runs well on 512 MB of RAM. I haven't had a chance to...

I was running cyanogenmod on my Galaxy S until I upgraded phones earlier this year. The problem is the Galaxy S only has 512 MB of RAM, and Android 4.0-4.3 uses nearly 400 MB of it. So you fire up a couple apps, the phone is out of memory and begins using all its CPU cycles to shut down apps in the background, and everything slows to a crawl.

I would try upgrading to cyanogenmod 11 first. That's based on Android 4.4 (Kit Kat), which Google has been optimizing to reduce its memory footprint. Supposedly it's small enough now that it runs well on 512 MB of RAM. I haven't had a chance to try it because my microSD card just died so I can't install it yet (I keep the S around as a loaner to visitors from out of country).

If cyanogenmod 11 doesn't have acceptable performance, then you'll have to revert to Gingerbread (2.3.x), which is probably the current stock firmware for the phone.

Solution