Galaxy S23 Ultra — I still think most people don’t need the S Pen

Jan 21, 2023
I really love the pen, it's really enjoyable to use especially during meetings where I forgot to bring a laptop or paper notes or when I need to write something. in fact, I choose the s23 ultra over iPhone because of that, it transcends a boring phone to something more unique, enjoyable, and useful

Reactions: EMalvin
Jan 22, 2023
For me the pen is the USP, and without it, I had moved to Apple long ago. That is because I can quickly pull it out and jot down a shopping list. I can also use it for mark-up when reading a PDF file. Why would I use it for photo editing, if I have a laptop with a high-res OLED screen (connecting to an 8K monitor at home)?

The cameras up to the 3x "Zoom" are useful, because I can use the phone as a visual notebook when I do not have a "proper" camera with me, or because I am in a place where I am not allowed to carry my equipment. The 10x lens is nearly useless - how often do you take pictures with a 250mm telephoto lens on your DSLR? - but the reviews will focus on that and show crops of pictures of number plates taken across lakes. A feature only designed for reviewers, at the cost of utility - a shorter 6 or 7x lens would have had less of a gap to the 3x, hence less "digital zoom" in real-live pictures. And the benefit of a sensor with more than 100 MPix in a smartphone is beyond me anyway. They are integrated nevertheless.

All the other features - faster processor, higher screen resolution, high refresh rates - are useless for me, as my most-used apps are Outlook, Audible, web browser and camera. A battery lasting for a week would be cool, but if the trade-off is a brick in my pocket, I can do without.

We all have different preferences and needs - so please stop patronizing us what we need and what not. If there is a feature of which enough people believe it is useful enough to choose a phone over another, which is unique in the market, and probably costs much less to implement than many other gimmicks which are much less differentiating, it's probably a good idea for Samsung to stick with it.

Reactions: EMalvin
Jan 22, 2023
Tom London gets it. There are plenty of features and capabilities built in to my phone that I neither need nor use. The S Pen isn't one of them. True, I don't use it every day but, like the heated seats in my car, it's there when I need it. I use it to create action item lists, draw floor plans, edit photos, entertain my kids or to do whatever phone-related action requires more pinpoint accuracy than my finger tip.

But I have an easy solution that will satisfy the non-user. They can buy the Ultra, pop the S Pen out, throw it away and fill the hole with a long, thin piece of plastic shaped exactly like the thing they just threw away. After that, they never have to worry about the oppressive S Pen. :)

DENVERSKIER

Commendable
Nov 20, 2021
The S Pen is a hallmark feature of the Galaxy S22 Ultra, and likely will remain that way for the Galaxy S23 Ultra. Our phones editor remains skeptical that most people need it.

Galaxy S23 Ultra — I still think most people don’t need the S Pen : Read more
Of Course we need the S Pen and now the Note didn't go away cause of a lack of users.....it went away so Samsung could focus on Way overpriced and fragile Foldables...so they can gouge on the profit margin. Stop lying!!!....and we see the Fold and Flop have some excitement where Samsung was the guinea pig...but lots of people have had trouble with both and many have broken cover by worthless warranties that aren't honored.....the Ultra is a smaller screen but using Samsung Notes the writing schools down and sideways and you can cast your phone to your TV easily and quicken...plenty of people not bright enough to sit though 10 min videos but then ask what it was about....or don't ask how many updates they ll get and when given in a link are too lazy to look...but for the majority it is very important along with gestures....just like with 1 hand etc and hoodlock

Jan 22, 2023
I use the Write on Screen function when playing Wordle. I think Samsung totally missed an advertising opportunity when the S22 Ultra came out and Wordle was also the hot thing. I also use it when playing Jackbox drawing games. Rarely will I use it for anything productive but for the most part my phone is an entertainment device