Galaxy S9 Hands-On: A Big Camera Leap (with One Stumble)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawndugout13

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Not bad. Still be one of the top premium devices out there as always. So, it seems this will be a set up for an amazing Note 9?

Oldmikey15

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
Looks quite good ,
better camera ,
better stereo speaker set up ( which has been a long time coming for the galaxy handsets).
Better cameras , brighter display ,
And given the new chipsets should be a bit snapper in performance and better in power consumption .
The updated dex station should be a plus .
It appears to be a decent overall improvement over the S8 vatiants ,and we still have a headphone jack and sd card .
At this early stage it looks like a win to me .

Colif

Distinguished
Perhaps the Galaxy X with its foldable screen will be enough change.

Funny, Samsung finally add stereo speakers after fixing everything else people complain about and now people just find another thing - I don't mean you, just been reading previews. They do everything people want and its still not good enough.

Mar 1, 2018
The LG V30's camera still outperforms with a high quality wide angle lens. Far more useful feature than any type of improved zoom or slow motion. The V30 still has the best sounding audio with DAC than any other phone. Pro movie making features as well.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Ted,

We will be offering comparisons with other phone cameras soon. The wide-angle lens is nice to have for sure,
but I think most people would prefer a 2x optical zoom and portrait mode.

Mbowen84

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
I do a lot of phone photography and having a screen that produces perfect 100% accurate colors, and the best camera in a phone, this is the upgrade for me! This upgrade to me is much better than a Unibrow and talking poo, so i'll be sticking with Samsung's accurately prices phones and will be upgrading my s7! Can't wait!!

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi. We can’t share that just yet but can let you know as soon as rated review is complete.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Where exactly are the speakers located? I don't see a front-facing speaker on each end of the screen. Stereo speakers don't really do a whole lot for, well, stereo, if they're both on the same end of the screen...Ideally you'd want something like the front-facing speakers used on the Pixel 2 or the Nexus 6P before it. Further, I want to know if the S9's speakers are going to be blocked or muffled if I set the phone down on a table or carpet or against anything, but I can't find any information on where they actually are and which direction the speakers fire?

Colif

Distinguished
This doesn't really show the lower speaker location but it does show how it sounds compared to the S8.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoMusI-nsX8"][/video]

I don't expect them to be amazing as they also water proof, I don't know how good water proof speakers can sound really

Status
Not open for further replies.