Galaxy S9 Has a Problem, and It's Not Even Out Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad_53

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
Good. Folks are finally getting it that they don't need each of the latest and greatest. Hold on to your phones for a couple to few years. The next step is using that money savings for something truly worthwhile, like retirement savings or paying down debt.

Mar 7, 2018
I don't think the decline is because of the features I think it's because they are released to close together. The new phones use to come out every 2 to 3 years now it's every year. Not everyone wants a new $800+ phone every year. Create suspense, create want, instead we have -well if I buy the 9 the 10 will be out in a few more months :/

Mar 7, 2018
@Brady53 YES! At minimum keep each phone till its paid off then sell on Offer Up, LetGo, or fb Marketplace. Even my 18 yr old has now learned the that the latest is not always the greatest. ;)

Mar 7, 2018
You can't trade in your phone, pay $300 bucks and get the latest flagship anymore. Also, I'm part of the 2016 wave of phone buyers. Went from iPhone 6 plus, to Galaxy Note 7. I still wanted to give Samsung a chance with better screens, wireless charging so I settled with a Galaxy S7 edge. I never knew what phone lag was like until this phone. I'm still on Android 7.0 and 9 is about to be unveiled. I have to write my Android apps twice, the first with 7.0+ where I can use Java 8 features, and then another version for pre 7.0 devices due to fragmentation. I'm not going to tolerate a substandard processor, Snapdragon 845, while the rest of the world gets the Exynos 9810 that's actually in the ball park with the A11 bionic. It's all a mess. Going back to Apple that may be locked down, but has a consistant user experience.

Mar 7, 2018
For me, I got my unlocked S8+ in April of last year. I really don't see the need to upgrade. The S9 is better but is it worth the upgrade cost. No. I'd love something new and shiny but I don't want to be on a contract and I don't want to shell out another 1270 CAD - whatever I get for the S8+. Let's say it's 600 net I get after sale. Meh, not worth it. I bet there's a ton of people that feel the exact same way.

reader134

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
The S8 and Note 8 were the first perfect smartphones ever made. So to improve upon that is very difficult. So if you bought one of these phones you are good. However, if you are still on an older phone you are missing out big time. Its surprising that phone makers kept adding big new features all the way through 2017. But I think we have reached a point that there is only so much you can add to a smartphone. Kinda like the laptop now.

EDITGIRL214. Samsung and Apple have ALWAYS released a new version of their top phones every year. Hence the iphone 8 and S9.

Mar 7, 2018
It feels like a comment from a iphone fanboy, since it doesnt point out any defect or deficiency of s9 but just says apple X is better. When everyone knows that apple x has failed against even s8 how anybody can think that it could better than s9. I dont own a samsung and definitely no fanboy of any brands, but am pointing outthe absurdity of the article.

Mar 7, 2018
It's all about price. Average $900 each upgrade once a year, who does that? Only the top 10% and there aren't as many as you think. Even with trade in value there's still the huge loss year over year. There is also the child like features added to adult priced phones and adults are bored after the first time they use it. Time to scale back the new phone announcements and come up with real advancements not piecemeal trinkets.

Status
Not open for further replies.