Question Game performance suddenly dropped on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2021
got home from a long day at work to sit down and relax with some games, but they kept having lag spikes every few seconds that made it unplayable, other games ran at such a low frame rate that I could barely navigate the menus to close the thing, this happened suddenly and for seemingly no reason. none of the settings had been changed, it just all of a sudden stopped working, one game worked when I turned the graphics to minimum and dropped the resolution way down, but I know my computer is capable of running it better than that.

Edit: I think I've figured out that its a result of my cpu being overused by background apps, I currently have no Idea how to fix this

Solved: I think I just had to update my gpu drivers and that did the trick

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021
I'm currently doing a malware scan to see if anything is wrong. According to the task manager its always different processes that are running the majority of my cpu, sometimes its one of the service host programs, sometimes its windows explorer, and others its system interrupts, those are the main ones.
my laptop is an asus with an intel i7 processor

Edit: Just finished scanning for malware and didn't find anything

Mar 11, 2021
Hi I had this issue a while ago and it came up again, games just suddenly lagging and having to tune the video settings down so they can work properly. Hoping that the issue its not bigger than it seems make sure to check your local disk C and D and whatever disks you have for storage space, make sure its not in the red because at that point every game will slow down, just run a disk cleanup and make as much space you can and you ll be good to game again, this is for anyone who comes up with this problem just like me and i hope you can figure out the problem if not. Edit: just finished running a cleanup disk while writing this, tested it and now the games that started lagging work smooth af. I always forget to check the disk space so this is the last thing i come up when I have this problem, i am sure a lot of people also forget and I hope this helps them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.