Gamer Pays Debt by Stealing Virtual Funds

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
If the guy hasn't wasted his money and time playing online he wouldn't have had financial problems! That's why I would never touch one!

hrafnthor

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Hmmm it seems that again people aren't understanding what is being said here.

EVE is not a game like WoW and thus does not require you to play it for 8 hours/day just to get to the next level with your character. EVE doesn't even have levels. It has skills that train in real time. So the person that had the account that got banned was maybe working 16 hours/day for all we know, only to log into this game for 1 hour a day to keep the bank running and skimming off the top a few ISKies.

And EVE players are not getting angry about this and do NOT want this guy to get real life punishment for what he did. Those who are saying things like that here are not EVE players. Just people that don't understand the game.

We (EVE players) do not care about what he did. The average age of EVE players is 25-30 thus players have normally less time to play this game compared to lets say WoW players that normally tend to have an average age of 16. So spending time on insignificant things like this EBank business is not something that most of the player base does.

I think the only reason that this scam deal has been making headlines on news sites like Tom's and Reuters is that it almost mimics what has been happening in banks in the real world all around the globe.

zingam said:
You people are getting even more stupid every single day! I mean how could you play a game and pay for virtual cash? WTF?

No I wouldn't call people stupid for doing something that I knew nothing about. I personally spent 15$ once to buy a time code that I sold on the EVE virtual market for 400 million. That virtual money is what helped me to get the necessary gear in game to be able to earn more then 400 million each month to be able to buy my own in game time code each month and thus not have to pay for the game.

That is not stupid. That is good business thinking. If people want to pay 15$ each month for a subscription then that is fine by me but I want to play for free.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
It would be very hard to argue, and there's certainly no precedent, but I think you could make the case that because what he stole has monetary value, its theft.

If you steal intellectual property from a company and sell it, isnt that a crime? If I create diagram in CAD and you steal it and sell it for 500$, isn't that a crime? Just because its virtual and not tangible doesn't mean it doesn't have monetary value and therefore not a crime.

There's a huge difference between botting and selling items you find for money (against ToS) and knowingly stealing virtual property from other real people and selling it for monetary value.

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
[citation][nom]Insider20[/nom]v12v12 you actually thought he was the CEO of that company?I just had to point and laugh at you. Obviously 5G is pocket change for CEO's with real jobs. In-Game CEO's (Or Guild Masters in a video game) make 0$ an hour. So now you're flaming everyone who games because you failed to interpret an article. /golfclap[/citation]

While I will admit that yes, my interpretation was slightly eschew; the guy made FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS CASH MONEY... Lets see you pull that off in anything in your RL, let alone gaming. You've never even held $5000 in your hands, be quiet SERF. The point stands that irregardless of his actual position in RL - in the game he was someone highly esteemed, and it came to a huge shock (apparently), that his actions were noted OUTSIDE the game, thus it was serious. Or else nobody would have even bothered to write/make a stink about it. Doofus.

If you really want to mentally joust, PLEASE try me. I highly doubt with your low-wit and inability to cognate and understand an analogy, that you'd even put up a fight... Geesh stick to WoW type gaming dunce. Go farm some IQ points, seems you're a running a little low in intelligence strength.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]v12v12[/nom]While I will admit that yes, my interpretation was slightly eschew; the guy made FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS CASH MONEY... Lets see you pull that off in anything in your RL, let alone gaming. You've never even held $5000 in your hands, be quiet SERF. [/citation]

Are you on junk?
I make 92,000 a year, yah im not rich but i game A LOT, have a 12yr old son and been married happily for 10 years.

To think because a person games they dont make RL cash is INSANE, wake up kid.

I earned somewhere near $5000 in Asherons Call selling Botted toons for RL cash (illegal INgame) but not in RL. Guess what? I never played the toons, i wrote a script and ran the toons 24/7 to make RL cash on the side to pay for my beer, and mexico vacations.

Everything you have said in this tread is diluted. You have a bizzare impression the RL and game life are tied together.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
My point is...
regardless why he took the money it is not illegal, thus it is actualy a source of income with the concequences being loss of a $50 game.. well worth the risk.

RL and IN-game items/cash are VERY different and should be treated as such.

Also... There is no way anyone will sue and if they do they will be out thier lawyer funds. In game Items cary no value and are not your property to lose. End of story

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
What the hell do you do in this game anyways? Thought about trying it once. So you just go around mining rocks for ISK all day long?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]v12v12[/nom]Who are you? I quoted Insider20 07/09/2009 3:48 PMNot "grieve" etc.[/citation]
Although you were directing your remark @ Insider20 it was very much a generalized statement

hrafnthor

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]drunknmunkys[/nom]It would be very hard to argue, and there's certainly no precedent, but I think you could make the case that because what he stole has monetary value, its theft.If you steal intellectual property from a company and sell it, isnt that a crime? If I create diagram in CAD and you steal it and sell it for 500$, isn't that a crime? Just because its virtual and not tangible doesn't mean it doesn't have monetary value and therefore not a crime.There's a huge difference between botting and selling items you find for money (against ToS) and knowingly stealing virtual property from other real people and selling it for monetary value.[/citation]

I am by no means attacking you drunknmunkys but the it is that kind of thinking that is what is wrong with the world today.

It was a binary code made by CCP that the guy was selling. Not something that was owned by the players that used the bank. Not even if they paid real life money for a time code that they sold for in game money. And just to avoid some wise guy from saying that binary code is usually copyrighted; It is yes, but to the guy that wrote it in this case CCP. Not the "owner" of the item that the binary code represents in game.

The guy was banned from the game. That is the punishment for selling ISK for real money. The only person that can sue is CCP but we Icelanders don't sue every time someone does something to us. Those would be the Americans.

And to you fracture; Read this site if you want to know something about everything you can do in EVE: EVE]http://www.eve-guides.com/]EVE Guide[/url]

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
Is ebank FDI insured, those poor people with account in ebank lost some doe. I think congress need to investigate this guy and give him the chair.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]drunknmunkys[/nom]It would be very hard to argue, and there's certainly no precedent, but I think you could make the case that because what he stole has monetary value, its theft.If you steal intellectual property from a company and sell it, isnt that a crime? If I create diagram in CAD and you steal it and sell it for 500$, isn't that a crime? Just because its virtual and not tangible doesn't mean it doesn't have monetary value and therefore not a crime.There's a huge difference between botting and selling items you find for money (against ToS) and knowingly stealing virtual property from other real people and selling it for monetary value.[/citation]

No offense but you talk out of your ass when you clearly have absolutely no clue about EVE. Like me and others explained here EVERYTHING goes on EVE. As long as you don't go against the EULA (which obviously doesn't cover scam/theft) you're more than welcome to steal and scam all the game's monies and GMs won't do a single thing. CCP just never interferes in such matters. If you were to submit a ticket that you got scammed and cried about it there are good chances the GM would laugh in your face and tell you to get over it.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
cont:

And no, you aint stealing anyones IP when you steal in game currency. The guy essentially performed a scam. He just decided to sell the spoils for real cash. His first act, scamming others is perfectly legit as far as EVE is concerned. His second act, selling the spoils for $$ is a bannable offense.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
No one feels bad for the people that got ripped off in the game? It's the behaviour that has to be judged, not whether it's real world not not. I praise Bernie Madoff for showing how pathetic we all are.

Status
Not open for further replies.