Gamers Help Discover Two New Planets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
ehh... no one said it was a "game". I've been doing it since the beta and at no point did they talk about it as if it were a game.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Are people who build 2k systems for gaming hardcore gamers?or are people who spend 2k hour per week on farmville hardcore gamers?[/citation]
To my knowledge a gamer is someone who play games on computers, not someone who buy 2k computers. People who send hours playing farmville are a different type of gamers than those that play CS and so forth, but still gamers none the less.

G

The Problem is just one thing: its YOUR energy bill in the end. And prices for energy are on the rise lately... so its a question about "can you afford it" and nothing more, really

G

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]and that.........means they're not "Counter Strike " Gamer, more like "Farmville" Gamer, which in my dictionary is not a gamer...case closed[/citation]
gam·er
noun \ˈgā-mər\
Definition of GAMER
1 : a player who is game; especially : an athlete who relishes competition
2 : a person who plays games; especially : a person who regularly plays computer or video games

Your opinions don't matter when it's already set in stone. GG

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
gam·er
noun \ˈgā-mər\
I revised your definitions....

Definition of GAMER
1 : a player who is game; especially : an athlete who relishes competition and gets laid.
2 : a person who plays games; especially : a person who regularly plays computer or video games and never gets laid.

Your opinions don't matter when it's already set in stone. GG

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]gam·ernoun \ˈgā-mər\Definition of GAMER1 : a player who is game; especially : an athlete who relishes competition2 : a person who plays games; especially : a person who regularly plays computer or video games Your opinions don't matter when it's already set in stone. GG[/citation]

Don't forget that tabletop games fans also consider themselves gamers! Warhammer comes to mind.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I Googled this. Not much of a game, more like an online activity. Not my thing, I found it kind of boring. But hey, to each their own. I suspect RPG gamers might enjoy this. I'm more of a FPS gamer.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]couldn't they just make a better software?[/citation]
One can safely assume that they're definitely working on it, given the massive scale of the Kepler Mission. However, rememberthat current AI isn't very good at pattern recognition; at least, AIs are no match for humans, even if they have the advantage of being very fast and scalable.

"finding" planets in Kepler's data consists of trying to find a consistent wave within the brightness data waveform from the target star. (i.e, it's the regular, periodic dimming of a star as the planet transits it that reveals its existence here)

In order to try to "dig" as fast as possible, I can imagine that the software would leave a lot of things falling through the cracks... And there's a lot of planets to find; with some 150k stars, and current calculations over the rarity of planets (backed up by current finds) there's likely going to be planets around 75,000 of them. As only around 4-5,000 stars have had planet "candidates" discovered around them, ("candidate" = likely has a planet, but not yet >99% certain before more research is done) that leaves over 70,000 more planets to find, after approximately two years of work.

Since the data will be around well after the sattelite's predicted to go dead in 2013 or so, it'l be many, many years before we run out of things to find from it.

[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]I'd say the people who spend 2k hour per week on farmville are the real hard core gamers.[/citation]
I'd just rather learn how they manage to cram 2,000 hours of activity into a span of 168 hours.

[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]...never gets laid.[/citation]
A bit sore everyone snubs you? Perhaps you should look at yourself to see why that's the case. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.