Games May Want Validation To Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It'll be cracked in less than two weeks and the paying customer will be stuck with what is essentially spyware on his computer. When will developers realize that making people jump through hoops to play their games is the exact reason why PC gaming isn't as profitable as console gaming (at least in the U.S).

G

I am definitely not buying a game with that kind of draconian (mass effect) anti piracy efforts. F*them. I understand their concerns but I disagree with the solution. Besides as long as Valve and Paradox keep making PC games I will be happy. Funny, I literally buy 6 to 12 PC titles a year. MY original XBOX was modded and I had over 45 games on my HD .... think I bought those games??? Finally, gaming in general has been watered down ... maybe watching some players leave the PC market while painful will focus the limited revenue to more quality game development houses .... let the crap ware go to the consoles. Last ..... F* EA ... although who really wants to play sports games on PC?? I thought that is what consoles were for anyway?

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No sane person will bother with this. People are busy. Who's going to want to bother with that when there are plenty of other games out there. This will cause the games to fail miserably.

I was going to buy Spore but if this is true i'm not going to bother. i don't need the game that badly to bother with complications of it.

G

To yarr ...

I disagree haha, it will be cracked before it is released for general consumption not two weeks after :) The paying public will as you say be stuck with the DRM. I like the take from INQ "Piracy the Better Choice (TM)(C)(R)" ....

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It'll be cracked but I don't think anyone will bother wasting their time supporting a company that installs malware\spyware\virus on your computer.

[citation][nom]mcrex77[/nom]To yarr ...I disagree haha, it will be cracked before it is released for general consumption not two weeks after The paying public will as you say be stuck with the DRM. I like the take from INQ "Piracy the Better Choice (TM)(C)(R)" .... [/citation]

Night-Eagle

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Sometimes, it feels like EA is behind the whole "crippling of the PC platform." Crysis had a horrible time with fixing really basic multiplayer issues - attack traces intersecting with the vehicle they start from, severe balance issues, CD-keys never registering on installation - a patch for these could have been distributed much quicker were the game delivered via Steam, and face it - it is much more attractive to have one enduring anti-piracy system to deal with than a dozen volatile ones.

Look at The Sims Online. EA is shutting the servers down, probably because the game is not profitable enough for their tastes, leaving the players who spent good money without even so much as residual content - now we are expected that they are going to leave a new activation server up indefinitely? Once their tastes/wallets are satisfied, what stops them from shutting the Spore activation server down, especially with the "decline of PC gaming" and its loss of profitability? The games published on Steam's entrepreneurial style attracts indie gamers and profits from it - not to mention the system's highly-visible built-in but unintrusive advertising. Steam has a bright outlook and new ideas going for it - EA's developers are doom-sayers, putting profit first and creating dozens of expansions resulting in the same, beaten gameplay.

They say the issue is piracy - How did Valve develop Half-Life 2, succeed, then develop Team Fortress 2, succeed, and are now going on to develop Left 4 Dead - all marking major sales on the PC? Most of Valve's games have been pirated, yet it appears they are excelling in the market, especially in fame. If I recall correctly, Team Fortress 2 is one hell of a game, so piracy of Half-Life 2 couldn't have been absolutely devastating to Valve.

Personally, I see the possibility of a rootkit as a hard incentive for people to pirate the game to avoid system instability etc. This hardware is mine; I didn't pay hard money for someone else to put their *stuff* on it.

Perhaps quality and originality is a more effective way of generating legitiamate sales, not hype. Call of Duty 4 outsold Halo 3 despite all the hype. Why should Crysis outsell The Orange Box?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
THEY'RE DOING THIS CRAP TO SPORE TOO!? NOOOOO. I don't buy games with ridiculously intrusive piracy prevention. I didn't buy Bioshock, and I wasn't going to buy Mass Effect... but now, it seems like all games are going the tard path. What about people with no internet a-holes!? Not even is fortunate enough to have it all the time. So, if I'm having financial problems and can't pay for internet for a month, I won't be able to pass the time with games that aren't even multiplayer.

Stupid.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]It'll be cracked but I don't think anyone will bother wasting their time supporting a company that installs malware\spyware\virus on your computer.[/citation]

My thoughts exactly. This kind of behavior only makes me WANT to pirate the software. At least then you get it without the BS.

neblogai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
Never bought a game with "antipiracy measures", but was happy to pay money for some unprotected ones. I don't need malware from Bioware- I'll play pirated version of Mass Effect. If a game is good, I might buy original version, but still will not install it- and continue playing pirated one.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
We need to start telling the companies who use these 'anti-piracy' things that we are NOT going to buy their software, period and done with.
I haven't bought ANY game, Japanese or American, with this kind of 'copy-protection' on it... at least not until I have been able to find a crack for it that removes the copy protection or the company in question removed the copy protection themselves.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I'm beginning to think EA is behind this, purposely killing the PC as a gaming platform.

Think of all the strange press releases by previously PC friendly people, now under EA's control, feverishly abusing gamers.

They want you to buy consoles: more hardware sales for them, more DRM for them, more micro-transactions for them, more cookie cutter titles for them...crap for you.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I'm beginning to think EA is behind this, purposely killing the PC as a gaming platform.

Think of all the strange press releases by previously PC friendly people, now under EA's control, feverishly abusing gamers.

They want you to buy consoles: more hardware sales for them, more DRM for them, more micro-transactions for them, more cookie cutter titles for them...crap for you.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Earlier this month Crytek, makers of Far Cry and Crysis, revealed the studio would no longer support PC exclusives. Cevat Yerli, Crytek President, pointed his finger towards piracy and claimed the company was “suffering” from the huge piracy stemming from its recent Crysis release.
Crysis just sucks. I haven't played such a boring game for a long time and I'm not going to play anything like that anytime soon.
I play to enjoy the game (storyline/content), not to watch some movie-like effects (that's what Hollywood movies are for). When I beat a game I want to have that feeling of satisfaction and Crysis (and many contemporary games) fails utterly at this. If I bought the game I would sure feel scammed and cheated and I might even hurt somebody...
They make a sh*t game and now they blame piracy because it doesn't sell. What losers!

G

Not buying games with these kind of protection has proven to be an adequate way for gamers to stop developers from taking this absurd measures. Starforce, anyone? ;) So in short, no Spore or any other game for me if it has "protection" like this.

G

Thats the dumbest thing ever, stupid DRM. Do they think the console based games are not going to be hacked. I know plenty of people who play hacked games on Wii's that have chips in them. Go ahead and move to the console it doesn't make a difference. Make a good game and then i'll buy it. I was looking forward to Spore. I guess thats out the window!!!

G

Bye, bye Spore. Been looking forward to the game for years. Won't touch it now.

G

I wish these companies would simply move to the Valve model. I know Valve games get pirated too but it seems they have been able to generate a modicum of success with Steam without completely pissing everyone off. I have come to see Steam as a VALUE ADDED content delivery system and not so intrusive. That obviously is only a perception ... but at least Valve has gone to great lengths to get me to accept their version of DRM. Plus many of their off shoot games are priced nicely (DoD Source, TF2, etc)

G

so you mean if I'm not connected to the internet constantly I can't play my single player games? So i have to be internet enabled to install...and i have to be internet enabled to keep playing? But wait, what if my anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, router, or network block these outgoing packets from an unknown program? Guess i will lose the ability to play? Sounds fantastic! bring it on!

Seems an easy crack to just point the packets somewhere else...

And if i own more than 1 pc i have to buy more than 1 copy? Or if my hardware changes, i can't play any longer? I wonder if monitor, keyboard and mouse are included in that "hardware?" Don't go changing that cpu speed! no game for you! 10 days!

vherub

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
there has to be another way for companies to negate the lost sales of piracy that doesn't also harm the legitimate paying consumer.
These are intelligent people, making some brilliant software, and securom has not been that answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.