GameStop Selling Used Games as New

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I haven't shopped at Gamestop since Age of Conan came out. My friend pre-ordered it (paid in full) just for his copy to come up "missing" when he went to pick it up. They said because he didn't pick it up within 2 days that it was subject to be sold. Evidently it was in the fine print of the pre-order receipt. Regardless that was enough to piss me off (even though it wasn't my game) and not give them my business anymore. I also find it ironic that every time I've looked for a hyped up game Gamestop/EB Games has been sold out meanwhile Target/ Walmart have plenty in stock. It's sad when it's easier to get games at Walmart then it is an actual Game store. And it's not as if Gamestop has better selection or carry independent games because they don't.

In short I'm not surprised in the least that they sell used games as new.

robsgr8

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Right off the start Game Stop is breaking a law but alot of people dont realize it. I'm not sure if its all the game stops or just ones in certain areas. But 98% off the games they sell are in enevelopes and then put in a empty box. According to New York any item that is not sold in a sealed container is considered OPEN BOX and CANNOT be sold as a new item. Everytime I go in there i demand that they give me a factory sealed game or discount the one as a used item that they have behind the counter. They bitch and moan but I argue it. If they refuse I go somewhere else.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Wow. They should be out of business by now. They encourage people to buy "used" copies of games instead of new ones. Used copies that sells for only $5 less than the new copies - $54.99 instead of $59.99.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
My bro tried buying a Tiger Woods golf game for his 360. He wanted to purchase it and the guy handed him the game with a generic case and no book/manual. He tried passing it off as new. My bro said, "Wait, it's $30 for a NEW game. This is used." The kid replied, "No, it's new. We just don't have the new packaging." My bro said, "If I'm paying $30 for a new game, I want the new, unopened packaging. Drop to $20 and I'll buy it used."

The dude wouldn't budge so my bro didn't bother with it. I won't be stopping back at their store anymore.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Most of the gamestop employees I've met are either WAAAY to into thier job OR complete A-holes. I don't like gamestop. Buy games online, you'll save money. Then sell the ones you are finished with to gamestop.. you can feed them your scraps.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
worked there for almost 10 years and checking out new or used items has always been a rule. Its just that now they are making money hand over fist on used games (and killing your future games by doing so since Gamestop reaps 100% of the profit of selling (and buying) and people are pissed off that themsleves arent making all that money. That's pretty much what it boils down to.

If the FTC actually gived a crap (and what government body actually does), Gamestop would've been looked into years ago when they buy a game for 15 dollars turn around and sell it for 45...but guess what, people pay for it, especially when its only $40 (or $50 on 60 dollar games) with their discount card. If people don't like Gamestop THE BEST SOLUTION IS TO STOP SHOPPING THERE...but you wont, so stop complaining....

G

I am surprised that people are just now making a fuss over this. It has been going on for over 20yrs. Babbage's, Software Etc, Electronics Boutique, Media Play and others all had an employee try out policy. It was there to encourage the sales people to try out and learn the products to better be able to help the customer and give real feedback about if a game was good or not. I used ot manage a Babbage's and then a EB after Babbage's and Software Etc. merged and imploded. It was never a secret policy and managers were to make sure the employees did not damage the product or they were subject to having to buy it.
Was this policy good?? Yes and no.
Yes because it allowed the sales team to really be able to sell a game or whatnot based on real exp with the product.
No because each store always had one copy that was the check out copy that would get discounted 10 to 15% when sold.
I personally think that any sold that have been used by employees or returned need to be marked as such.
I just find it odd that 20yrs after the practice has been going on that people are complaining.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]astrotrain1000[/nom]I was a manager at a Gamestop for 3 years, and this does happen. However playing a game is not the same thing as driving a car off the lot, playing is does not degrade the quality only scratching it would do that. That being said I used to give people 10% off if they bought the last one and if they asked for a discount.[/citation]

You open a game and load the CD contents, that pretty much eliminates the "new" label. As for cars, even new cars used to shuttle people around as loaners or say when a golf tournament gets new cars to use to shuttle staff and players cannot be considered new anymore. They must be called "demo" or "used" and sold at a discount.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
You guys sure are funny. How do you define "new" towards software? Only by it's packaging. But does the packaging have anything to do with the software itself? No. If the packaging is opened and the disc itself is still fine, then I don't see any problems. I don't a warrant for it to be discounted or anything. But if the disc is scratched and has problems reading then yeah.

Digital distribution is the biggest wool pulled over your eyes. You guys are saying buying digital copies is better? I don't think so. You're paying full price just for the software, no packaging. I feel ripped off for paying full price for digital copy when there's no middle man costs for packaging or shipment and such. If they were to take out the middle man costs then yeah, that would be the way to go. Left 4 Dead is still 49 bucks on Steam, just for a digital copy. Whereas Fry's has it for 25 bucks with the packaging, "new". But even Fry's repackage used as new, and not just with games either. But I would rather buy it for 25 bucks than 50 bucks just because it was opened, or even 5 bucks off, because in the end it's the same.

It's all in your head

Oh yeah, there's no such thing as a new car, unless you grab it when it comes off the line.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]You guys sure are funny. How do you define "new" towards software? Only by it's packaging. But does the packaging have anything to do with the software itself? No. If the packaging is opened and the disc itself is still fine, then I don't see any problems. I don't a warrant for it to be discounted or anything. But if the disc is scratched and has problems reading then yeah.Digital distribution is the biggest wool pulled over your eyes. You guys are saying buying digital copies is better? I don't think so. You're paying full price just for the software, no packaging. I feel ripped off for paying full price for digital copy when there's no middle man costs for packaging or shipment and such. If they were to take out the middle man costs then yeah, that would be the way to go. Left 4 Dead is still 49 bucks on Steam, just for a digital copy. Whereas Fry's has it for 25 bucks with the packaging, "new". But even Fry's repackage used as new, and not just with games either. But I would rather buy it for 25 bucks than 50 bucks just because it was opened, or even 5 bucks off, because in the end it's the same.It's all in your headOh yeah, there's no such thing as a new car, unless you grab it when it comes off the line.[/citation]

wow fracture, you got us all. However, Gamestop isn't selling digital copies. So your brilliant point is an abject FAIL.

all aboard the fracture failboat!!!

G

I just bought a copy of a game from Gamestop that was supposed to be "NEW" and I come to find out that the damned PIN# for the game has already been registered by someone else (probably one of those Gamestop employees who "checked out" the game). That is crap! When you can't even register your products (and receive points from the company) as the proper owner of the new game... what's the point of buying "NEW" games in the first place?

I think I'm going to take back this supposedly "NEW" game and buy exclusively "USED" from Gamestop from now on. I'll spend my money on new games from stores that don't open, manhandle, and pre-register these "NEW" games before you even get them.

G

I'm totally upset. I just bought a game that was NEW and it looked new because it was sealed in plastic. But when i got to work i opened it up and found out that it was missing the english manual and only had the french one. After telling my co-worker he asked "was there a seal on the case" and i said now, and then he said "yeah it was used then - now you know why i dont buy at gamestop"

I wrote a letter to gamestop, if they don't try to make this situation right by either a free game or a discount card to AT THE VERY LEAST to cover the price difference from a used and new game, i'm never buying there again, and telling everyone else to avoid the place for that reasn too. I wish i would have found this thread before i bought at gamestop. I've only bought 2 games at gamestop, both were sold as new, but only the first one was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.