Gaming Headset vs a Headphone and Mic setup

xXBananasXx

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
As the title suggests, I am trying to figure out if I should get a mic + headphones or just get a gaming headset. I'm looking at buying the Logitech G933 gaming headset (because wireless is a must for me) and it's at the $180 range. My friends have told me that a Blue Snowball mic and a pair of headphones for a $100 would be better, but what do you guys think? I really do like good sound, however most of the things I do is gaming and I would like to potentially do things like youtube which would need a good mic (I don't know how good the G933 mic is compared to something like a Blue Yeti). Wireless as I previously said is critical for me in a pair of headphones (no matter what I always seem to chew on the wires D: ). I'm new to the world of audio headsets and stuff, so I'm not an audiophile (at least yet anyway). Thanks for the help/suggestions you guys can provide me. Also my first post on Tomsguide!

Solution
The standalone mic will definitely give you a better, clearer sound when communicating with friends, but can be very annoying when trying to look at the screen, as you'll have a large ball in front of your face.
I disagree with this somewhat, as the convenience and portability of a gaming headset gives you much more versatility in terms of use. You can take it to lans, use it on the go, and still have the ability to make calls etc. through a dual amp to your phone if you want.
Really its all up to what you personally do.
I recommend the G4ME ZERO by Sennheiser if you want a headset with good sound and a noise cancelling mic, or AKG if you want some good headphones under $100.

Chugalug_

Estimable
The standalone mic will definitely give you a better, clearer sound when communicating with friends, but can be very annoying when trying to look at the screen, as you'll have a large ball in front of your face.
I disagree with this somewhat, as the convenience and portability of a gaming headset gives you much more versatility in terms of use. You can take it to lans, use it on the go, and still have the ability to make calls etc. through a dual amp to your phone if you want.
Really its all up to what you personally do.
I recommend the G4ME ZERO by Sennheiser if you want a headset with good sound and a noise cancelling mic, or AKG if you want some good headphones under $100.

Solution