Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
SI GT70 Dragon Edition

Win 8.1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

PSU; Model: ADP-180HB B 100-240V/50-60Hz

As of the last month or so, every time I try to play a graphics heavy game, my laptop will completely shut down. It is not overheating, I have all my fans turned on and no other programs running apart from the game that is being played.

How things normally go down:

1. Enter game

2. Remain in game for about 15-30 mins all the while experiencing major lag.

3. Game will freeze/become unresponsive, receive the error "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" and either manage to get back into game only to experience this every couple of 15-20 minutes OR my laptop will shut down completely.

As of lately, I've been connecting my laptop to my Smart TV which I believe to have motion interpolation. For one of the two major games I play, this has helped in preventing lag and I've noticed that I can remain in game for much longer than 15-30 minutes without experiencing any issues. When my laptop is not connected to the TV, I will experience MAINLY my laptop shutting down completely at random times. For the other game however (while disconnected to the TV), when things get too laggy, my monitor is the only thing to shut off. After a little while, the monitor will turn back on and the game is smoother. I will experience this multiple times throughout playing the game. When connected to the TV, the game is slightly smoother BUT when things become more laggy, instead of the monitor shutting off, I will receive the display driver has stopped working error. Last night was the first time the laptop had shut down completely whilst connected to the TV.

Any knowledge or ideas to fix this are very much appreciated.

Anzelin

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017

Blade and Soul will cause my laptop to shut down completely when disconnected to the Smart TV.
Black Desert Online will only cause my monitor to shut off when disconnected, so far.
Sims3, 4 and Sim City will cause it to shutdown completely
Old school Runescape will only give me the driver has stopped working error, Runescape 3 will shut down my laptop down.