Gaming Laptop for Friend

dedmiston11

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Hello, my friend asked for my help on getting a gaming laptop. I gave him some good choices but would like to hear the forum's thoughts.
1. What is your budget?
Under $2000
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6-17.3 in
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 x 1080 or better
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Somewhat portable (doesn't have to be. He lifts hardcore style)
5. How much battery life do you need?
Around 4 hours or so
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
WoW, Lol, BF4, GTA V (if it ever comes out); most likely medium or high
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Just essays and web browser
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
HDD: 750gb-1Tb; SSD: If it comes with one it would be nice, if not he may just buy one for it.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Most reliable
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Around 4 years (college, however, i know its hard to keep gaming laptops for that long, might get pc halfway through)
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
At least DVD/CD
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Don't know to much about the companies (heard Alienware and Razer are somewhat overpriced)
13. What country do you live in?
United States of America

You probably won't get 4 hours on battery on a gaming laptop unless you're not gaming. The current 860M Maxwell chips will help to prolong battery life, but still, there's a give and take when you need performance from a laptop. Some brands and their respective models to consider: Asus (G750 series), MSI (GT series or GS series), and Clevo (P series).