Gaming Laptop for under 1400

Laerck

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Im planning on selling my old laptop (acer aspire 7720) and scrapping my plans of upgrading my desktop to get a new gaming laptop.

1_What is your budget? Under $1400, but if spending $100 more means I get a better overall deal I could probably up the amount.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Im thinking 15"-16" widescreen, I travel infrequently but still enough to want a PC thats easy to lug around

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not so sure on this, Since this is mainly is a gaming laptop ill take the balance between FPS and resolution, I also watch a lot of movies on my current laptop

5_How much battery life do you need?
1 1/2 to 2+ hours is good

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Want to play Crysis, Fallout 3, Witcher, Mass Effect, COD etc. on highest settings possible for my budget

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) I do watch some movies especially when I travel but gaming comes first

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Id be happy with anything 150+ gigs

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Doesnt matter whatever has the best price, also want to buy extended warranty on it but I have had the best luck with newegg in the past

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least for the next 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. N/A

13_What country do you live in? USA, but I do a lot of travel through the middle east

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Thanks for any suggestionsbut

Solution
If you're after raw performance, ASUS G51J. It comes loaded with just about everything you could want, outside of battery life. The G51J uses the latest Core i7-720QM CPU, which provides four CPU cores with four additional virtual cores via Hyper-Threading. The standard clock speed of 1.6GHz is a limitation for heavily threaded tasks, but the Turbo modes allow single-threaded clock speeds of up to 2.8GHz. The net result is that it provides plenty of speed for most users and is plenty fast for gaming laptops that don't use multiple GPUs.
On the graphics side, ASUS includes a GeForce GTX 260M (similar to the 9800M GT but clocked faster). It's not as fast as desktop GTX 260 cards, but it's fast enough to run many games at the native...

evongugg

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
If you're after raw performance, ASUS G51J. It comes loaded with just about everything you could want, outside of battery life. The G51J uses the latest Core i7-720QM CPU, which provides four CPU cores with four additional virtual cores via Hyper-Threading. The standard clock speed of 1.6GHz is a limitation for heavily threaded tasks, but the Turbo modes allow single-threaded clock speeds of up to 2.8GHz. The net result is that it provides plenty of speed for most users and is plenty fast for gaming laptops that don't use multiple GPUs.
On the graphics side, ASUS includes a GeForce GTX 260M (similar to the 9800M GT but clocked faster). It's not as fast as desktop GTX 260 cards, but it's fast enough to run many games at the native 1920x1080 LCD resolution and high detail settings. Laptops with GTX 280M are about 20% faster in GPU limited situations, but they also cost several hundred dollars more. The G51J also includes 4GB DDR3 memory and two 320GB 7200RPM hard drives (not in RAID by default). The LCD is a low contrast panel, and battery life maxes out at around 90 minutes (with a relatively small 53Wh battery), but those are the only complaints with the G51J.

Solution

Laerck

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for all the replies those are some great picks, but Im a little curious if anything but a laptop with an i7 will become somewhat obsolete in the next 3-4 years, I know the i7 in a laptop will be a power hog and probably not something id want to keep in my lap for too long without burning up

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
its an i7, its got eight threads im guessing it wont be obsolete any time soon, and if im not mistaken, were in the tech world, anything u buy today will be obsolete by 2013, i wont be surprised if there are octicore or decacore laptops by that time at the pace intel is going. sad we only have till 2012 :(

Laerck

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
So true, Im pretty sure Ill be getting the G51j with some christmas money from xoticpc, so they can put some artic silver on for me and I can get the 3 year Global warranty on it, thanks for the suggestions.

Laerck

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Anyone think it would be worthwhile to wait another month or two to see if there is anything new on the market at that time that can beat the ASUS g51j for the price?

TRENDING THREADS