Gaming laptop issue

Durink84

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Hey guys

I have a Msi gt780dxr gaming laptop, a few months ago it started crashing occasionally during games and got really hot. Recently it happens every time I try to play a game , the game may run for 10 seconds or a half hour but always crashes. I've applied new heat compound to the CPU and GPU and has worked slightly better but having the same issues. I've cleaned the fan, vents and have tried running stress tests and benchmarks which it will sometimes make it through and sometimes crash. I seem to be able to browse the net fine and do other things on it but it sounds like a heat issue to me. In game the CPU gets up to about 90c while not in game it's low 40's. I have the newest nvidia driver for the gpu and the newest processor drivers installed but still always craps out during games. I can't pinpoint the error code for why it crashes it's just a kernel-power error. What do you guys think?

Solution
If it is going up to 90 then it is really overheating. It shouldn't be at that temp. If you have replaced the thermal paste, and cleaned it all out inside, you may want to look into changing the fan(s) out, if they aren't cooling correctly. Or, worst case, having to replace other components.

I would really get it cooling down before you play any more games though. And I do mean any, because if you let it keep going at those temps you are going to fry one or more components and then it will cost you.
If it is going up to 90 then it is really overheating. It shouldn't be at that temp. If you have replaced the thermal paste, and cleaned it all out inside, you may want to look into changing the fan(s) out, if they aren't cooling correctly. Or, worst case, having to replace other components.

I would really get it cooling down before you play any more games though. And I do mean any, because if you let it keep going at those temps you are going to fry one or more components and then it will cost you.

Solution