Gaming Laptop or Custom Desktop?

bball_1523

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I want some advice on what I should do here. Should I get a new gaming laptop or a custom desktop? I currently have both, but my laptop is from 2008 and has Win Vista Premium. I also have a desktop with some old parts such as a core 2 duo 3.0 GHz e8400, 4gb of ram, 120 gb HDD, 740 GT 2gb videocard, win 8.1 pro.

I don't have a whole lot of money, but I've thought about spending around $1000 for either a laptop or desktop. I haven't used my laptop that much lately and use my desktop a lot more often. I only use a computer for personal use at home and it's always my desktop, though once I'm a while I'll use my laptop. I use my smartphone throughout the day to access the internet. I mainly surf the web, light gaming (Skyrim 1-2 times a week), and may be doing some music recording.

I want something that will last me for a few years at least. I've thought about getting an MSI ge62 laptop or an i7 6700k custom desktop.

What do you all think?

csm101

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
for your requirements , go with a custom desktop but you dont need the mentioned processor for your needs. its a overkill.
you can do all u want with a processor like I7 4770 (no need of OC stuff) and a mobo with Z97 chipset, 1 SSD (120GB)for system drive and a 1 HD for all your other needs. a good sound card ( unless the current one is fine ) might be required for your recording stuff.

the VGA might needs upgrade once you move out of skyrim to a more demanding game but that's up to you.

neblogai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
Desktop. But with these requirements, I would concentrate on high quality screen, and mostly silent PC- as it does not need to be very powerful. But it will still be. Even gamers these days choose i5 processor- I would not go lower, just a cheapest newest generation Skylake i5. For GPU- custom model RX470 or maybe RX480- not a reference, but chosen from AIB makers for low temperatures and noise. 16GB of RAM to have it settled. SSD the size you can afford. And quiet PSU.

bball_1523

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the advice. The thing is I'm wanting a laptop for portable use at times such as sometimes at work and maybe in other situations. My old laptop is old though it still works, but I want an upgrade.

But the thing is I probably won't be using my laptop a whole lot later on unless I get into situations that I may want to use it more for, but right now that's not the case.