Gaming laptop question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2018
Mainly will be playing World of Warcraft and wondering how this laptop should perform:

7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300HQ Quad Core (6 MB Cache , up to 3.5 GHz)
• 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to [32GB], (additional memory sold separately)
• 128 GB (SSD) Boot + 1 TB 5400RPM SATA (HDD), No ODD
• 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

The link to the actual laptop is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764HW117/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3JS2199GQLB8L&psc=1

I know NOTHING about laptops so I am wondering if this will run WoW at a good clip on good settings as well as maybe ESO or Skyrim or Borderlands? Is there another laptop I should be looking at on Amazon that is better for the same price or should I stick with this one?

Solution
If you absolutely HAVE to have a laptop, you will want at least a 7700HQ for WoW. And even that will be used up to the max. WoW is a CPU-heavy game.

I have a pretty sweet desktop (see in sig), but I still was looking for something to take on the road with me. The only things I considered were the Acer Helios 300 (the one with the 7700HQ, and a 1060 graphics) For the price its extremely hard to beat and should be able to play at preset 7 on WoW and maintain 60fps most of the time (outside of raids and large BGs etc.)

The only other good option for WoW is a full on gaming laptop (which will still suck because of the mobile CPU, and the added fact you will be paying for more GPU than you will ever need for WoW).

The last option is to...

EpIckFa1LJoN

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
If you absolutely HAVE to have a laptop, you will want at least a 7700HQ for WoW. And even that will be used up to the max. WoW is a CPU-heavy game.

I have a pretty sweet desktop (see in sig), but I still was looking for something to take on the road with me. The only things I considered were the Acer Helios 300 (the one with the 7700HQ, and a 1060 graphics) For the price its extremely hard to beat and should be able to play at preset 7 on WoW and maintain 60fps most of the time (outside of raids and large BGs etc.)

The only other good option for WoW is a full on gaming laptop (which will still suck because of the mobile CPU, and the added fact you will be paying for more GPU than you will ever need for WoW).

The last option is to wait for the 8th gen Kaby Lake-G chip to come out. It combines a CPU and a Vega-M GPU, which is equivalent to a 1060 Mobile, which will be more than enough for WoW.

That is personally what I am waiting for before I commit to a laptop.
Problem is they aren't out yet and no one knows what pricing will be like.

The huge plus side is that it combines great performance in a small package, so there will be more room for cooling, which means less throttling.

i7 8809G 4c/8t 4.2GHz Turbo. That's basically a 6700k. Paired with Vega M graphics. That's going to be a sweet setup for WoW.

Update:

In light of BfA and the rec. sys. req. going up, A solid gaming laptop for WoW will be a little harder to come by on a budget.

The rec. CPU for BfA is a 4770, so a 7700HQ is just under that.
But also thanks to 8th gen becoming more popular, there are plenty of other CPU's that will handle the job.
Basically any 8th Gen CPU will be about on par with the recommended CPU for WoW, even the i3's
However you will want something that can clock around 4.0GHz for adequate (at least imo) performance.

Also with BfA GPU requirements going up, to play on higher settings, you're going to want about a 1060 now.
The VEGA M paired with the Kaby Lake-G chips may leave some to be desired but should still get the job done. Dell 2-in-1's are already using these chips and they might be solid little WoW machines.

Plenty of gaming laptops coming out with great specs, you're looking between $1,400 and $2,000 for a very solid gaming laptop that should be able to run WoW either very high or Ultra settings.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.