Gaming Laptop Recommendations/Advice/Information

lLiamKelly

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Not sure if this is the right forum to come to for a laptop but if not direct me to the right place and I shall be on my way! :) Recently I've been looking at getting a gaming PC after my next payday as I'm sick of playing on my absolutely terrible and three year old laptop. I've only been able to play League of Legends on it for the past year (I tried to play the Baldur's Gate enhanced edition and it even struggled with that!) and the FPS has slowly been going down after every new patch. Also I have a really bad problem with overheating on my current laptop and there's nothing I hate more.

I've posted a few times on here about getting a PC and I was really set on it until I found out I'll have to travel quite a bit for work. I'm still considering getting a desktop but my problem is that it won't be worth as I'll have half the time to play on it. I'm just wondering what the trade offs are with getting a laptop in stead of a PC (other than obviously being able to take a laptop with me). I would really like this game to be able to play all of the latest games on full for as long as possible with few heat problems as possible. I have added some information below to help (the spoiler to save space). I understand that £2000 is a LOT for a laptop, considering the monster of a PC you could build for the same money, but this is why I want to keep the laptop cost effective whereas with the PC I was happy to go with overkill.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Christmas (a present to myself!)

Budget Range: I was hoping not to spend too much but if it is really necessary then I'd say my budget is under £2000 after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies online, Skype, potentially some 3D CAD stuff for work.

Parts Preferences: I really have no preference in parts but what I would ask is for laptops or brands that don't have a tonne of their own programs on the laptop. My current laptop is a HP and I would rather not have to deal with all of their silly programs that are completely unnecessary to run a laptop but they put them on anyway and make it so you can't run the laptop without them (I'm not great with computers, as you can see).

Your Monitor Resolution: Would really like the screen/monitor to be of a good quality as, like I say, this will be used for watching movies as well as playing games

Additional Comments: With my current laptop I have to prop it up on drink mats just to make sure there's enough space for air to get to it so it doesn't overheat. I understand this will come with time but it would be really nice to have a system that didn't overheat just because I sat it flat on a surface. I will also have to carry this off/on trains, planes, etc, quite a bit so would prefer it if it wasn't too bulky. If you have any case/bag suggestions I would also appreciate those.

VGMMkubed

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
In terms of a gaming laptop, its good that you have that high of a budget. I would check out the MSI GE60 (15.6") Or GE70 (17.3"). These are two good laptops with performance very similar to, if not the same as, the ever-so-popilar Razer Blade, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I would also give a look to Alienware, because contrary to many opinions, they have good specs and can handle many programs if you get a higher-end one. Again, even the MSI is cheaper and just as effective.

Also give a look to Sager laptops, as they are entirely customizable and range anywhere from $800 to $1,700 or so.

Let me know what you think. I can also get more specific if need be, just let me know.