Gaming Laptop Recommendations Budget: apx. $1,000

otsum

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
1. What is your budget?
$1,000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" or 17", I can deal with a large notebook.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 × 1080 preferred. IPS would be nice

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I have a gaming desktop, this would be for business and pleasure on the go.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Don't really care. Don't plan on using this without an outlet much, unless there's a reason I should be.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'll be looking to play games such as GW2, Crysis 3, ArcheAge (CryEngine 3 game with mmo latency requirements).

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photo editing such as Photoshop CS5.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
750GB at least

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-34-231-975 - looks like a great deal coming in at $999.99

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? Don't care much, DVD-RW is fine, if at all.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not a fanboy.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'd like a powerful budget machine primarily for gaming on the go. I'd like to be able to get a 40-60fps experience from now-gen MMO's running cryengine3 and a little beyond. Medium settings are fine, I understand my price range. Looking for most bang for my buck and future upgradability (especially since I see HDD's tend to be what suffer most in my price range)

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Solution
I'm not gonna look at that Asus but I will bet it has a 5400 rpm HD.

The above is what i was going to recmmend but I seem to have had better luck here (ask about the discounts) and the service is more personalized.

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np7358.html

You will find that Clevo's advertised prices are pretty much the same to the penny no matter which legitimate dealer you use.
G

www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7358-clevo-w35ss-p-6991.html?wconfigure=yes

an 860m is the better you can get for 1000$ which is very good

otsum

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
Is the Sager that much better than the ROG? Is there a specific reason? I'm looking at the specs and they seem pretty identical. Just trying to educate myself! Thanks so much for your help guys, truly knowledgeable.

G

Pros Sager
860m is better than 850m
7200rpm disk is better than 5400rpm
8GB RAM is enough, and you can always buy more (the same applies to the HDD though)
fingerprint reader in case you're into that
Nothing is soldered to the motherboard

Pros Asus
250GB Bigger HDD
4GB More memory

If you would like to know which one looks better see xoticpc's gallery, The NP7378 is the best bang for the buck and it still looks beautiful. The Asus looks pretty good too, but a little uglier than Sager In My Opinion http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7358-clevo-w35ss-p-6991.html

otsum

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

Awesome, thank you! So the Sager and the Clevo are the same thing?

G

Clevo sells barebones to Sager and Sager finishes the job. In short, Sager is based on clevos, there are other laptops based on clevos too but Sager is probably the best. If you see a reseller like xoticpc or lpc it's because they buy Sagers and do an extra service if there's any or just middleman between you and Sager and could even get you a discount for which shipping time will be Sager's Shipping time to re-seller plus service if there's any plus re-seller shipping to you.