Solved! Gaming Laptop Recommendations

Bloodylegend

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
1_What is your budget?
$1000-1250

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15'-16'

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Best Possible

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Yes, College!

5_How much battery life do you need?

it will be plugged in alot!

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yeah; Warcraft, Starcraft, COD.. Hopefully high but not sacrificing FPS

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Movies.. photo editing

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
500gb 7200rpm

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Just good laptop reviews and a quality product

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

dvd rom and writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Quality products good support..

13_What country do you live in?

USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Been looking for a while if you could recommend some good Graphics cards that i should be wanting in my laptop, and then a possible laptop product.

Solution

JMTech

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I can think of two notebooks that matches your criteria perfectly.

The first is the MSI GX640-098US at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152191
Intel Core i5 430M, 2.26GHz Turboboost to 2.53Ghz (Dual core + HyperThreading)
15.4" Wide SXGA+, 1680 x 1050res
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 DDR5, DirectX 11 Class 1
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
$1,099 + Tax (if you're in CA, NJ, TN)

The second is the ASUS G Series G51JX-X1 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220700&cm_re=g51jx-_-34-220-700-_-Product
This one has a more powerful CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.6GHz) Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB GDDR5 RAM, DirectX10 Class 1
4GB DDR3 RAM 1066
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
1920 x 1080 res
Backlit Keyboard
$1,199 + Tax (if you're in CA, NJ, TN)

The first laptop has a slightly more futureproof graphic card and cheaper price but with a less powerful CPU and lower resolution compared to the second laptop. Look into the other ASUS G series notebooks as well. Also ASUS has a really good warranty service. Either one of these notebooks can handle the games you listed, but for $100 the higher resolution, increased CPU power, and backlit keyboard might be worth more than the DX11 card. Your choice.

JMTech

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
512MB at least, 1GB preferred.
The listed GPUs will give you the performance you seek.

Nvidia Geforce line up: (DirectX 10)
GTS360M - High End - This is the best out of the 300 series. High-end capabilities, lower power consumption, less heat output.
GTX260M - High End - This is better than the GTS360M in terms of horsepower but be cautious because it may include a Core2Duo CPU, this is an older gen graphic card: more power consumption, more heat output.

ATI Radeon (DirectX 11)
ATI Mobility Radeon 5850 - High end
ATI Mobility Radeon 5830 - High end
ATI Mobility Radeon 5770 - Performance

I only listed the ones that manufacturers include in 15-16" laptops. There are enthusiast GPUs but you won't see them in anything smaller than 17" laptops as they require better cooling. You can check their performances here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTS-360M.24058.0.html

Just to add to that, you actually can get the 5870 and the 285M in a 15'' package. Mainly the Sager NP 8690. It may not be the prettiest thing, but it makes up for it in performance: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8690-built-clevo-w860cu-custom-gaming-laptop-p-2659.html?wconfigure=yes

JMTech

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Yes I forgot about custom built laptops. Other sources are iBuyPower and CyberPowerPC. They also use the Sager chassis, but go check if they offer the GPU in that size as well. Since we're bringing up the hardcore companies, look at Alienware's lineup as well, but it's pretty much out of your current budget range.

Bloodylegend

Distinguished
May 15, 2010

All the coustom builds are in the range of 1800 for a good laptop..
Btw this is a great list of stuff guys ill be looking into all these laptops for the best performance...

Bloodylegend

Distinguished
May 15, 2010

So has 2 GPU's?

Solution

Bloodylegend

Distinguished
May 15, 2010

what do you mean by class 1 next to the GPU's

The site he linked to, www.notebookcheck.net, ranks the cards based on the abilities. Class 1 signifies that the card would be a top choice for playing today's games. Between the three laptops we've linked you; Sager, MSI and Asus, the cards would be ranked 5870(Sager) > 5850(MSI) > GTS360(Asus).

Personally, if I had the extra hundred bucks I would go for the Sager. If not, then the MSI would be the next best choice. Having owned and loved my Sager for 3 years now, I recommend them to just about anyone that asks.

I might consider upgrading the screen to the 1080p option or upgrading the CPU. The i5-520M is a dual core CPU with Hyperthreading so it will actually act like a quad core and is probably good enough. Otherwise, I wouldn't really change anything. You can add more RAM if you want, but it isn't really needed and you can always do that later on your own.

JMTech

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Upgrade on the config what you cannot change later, i.e. CPU, screen resolution, or graphics. But since the graphics is already the best in this size, just the first two. If you really want to save money but has to have these upgraded parts, then do not upgrade the parts that you can swap out later, such as RAM, hard drive, and even the battery. You should also get a nice laptop cooler to protect your investments, especially because you're a gamer.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
dont waste money on gaming laptop unless you poop money, look out how many ppl had their gpus die after 1 year because of poor cooling, and by the time you buy it a new technology comes out and you're stuck with the same rig

true gaming in on a pc not a laptop

Thanks for that wonderful contribution. Did you stop to consider that not everyone has the luxury of being at home all the time to use that desktop? He also mentioned that he is a College student. I don't know about his dorms, but mine where tiny thus making a desktop very impractical.

Bloodylegend

Distinguished
May 15, 2010

Thanks for wasting everyone time and as he said i am going to college. Maybe you didn't get that far sense you apparently cant read...