Solved! Gaming laptop selection + for college

Tony10

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Hello, I've been searching for the right laptop for over 4 months now because i am trying to find a good deal too but I can't seem to decide what to get.
I will use this laptop for gaming ( overwatch ,Pubg , bf1 , lol etc.) and lan sessions and also for video editting and photoshop. Also, I will carry it with me in college sometimes so it must be somewhat portable.I can only buy this laptop from Germany . So I have narrowed it down to 3-4 laptops :
1 ) MSI gs63vr 7rf stealth pro with gtx 1060 and i7 7700hq at 1600 euro
https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90678694/msi-gs63vr-7rf-213-stealth-pro.asp

2) MSI gs63vr 6rf with gtx 1060 and i7 6700hq at 1410 euro
https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90655426/msi-gs63vr-6rf16h22.asp

3) MSI ge63vr raider 7re with gtx 1060 and i7 7700hq at 1400 euro
https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90703325/msi-ge63vr-7re-034-raider.asp

4) Asus Rog GL502VM with gtx 1060 and i7 7700hq at 1200 euro

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90682619/asus-rog-gl502vm-fy292.asp

5) Asus Rog GL502VS with gtx 1070 and i7 7700hq at 1360 euro

So these are all the laptops...I have already turned down acer predator helios 300 , acer predator 15 and msi gt62vr cause of the weight and bulkiness.
What do you think I should buy at these prices ? Is a 200 price difference too much to go to the 7th gen cpu for the msi gs63vr? because it kinda exceeds my budget. And also the gl502vs comes with gtx 1070 in such a low price :p is the overheating and build quality THAT bad? I plan on undervolting on whatever option I get.Last but not least the msi ge63vr raider seems a great option BUT it comes with 120hz TN panel which is not that great for video editting. Thank you in advance :)

Solution
We have all our lappies custom built by Clevo distributors and save quite a bit of money while getting a better product by doing so. Unfortunately, I guess the Euro market doesn't go for custom built as much as NA, and distributors are getting scarce. Clevo will make you lappies with up to twin 1080s and 3k IPS AU Optronics panels but only in 17" size

Be aware that every laptop brand you ever heard of, other than MSI, actually does not "make" a single laptop.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Original Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China.

Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP...
We have all our lappies custom built by Clevo distributors and save quite a bit of money while getting a better product by doing so. Unfortunately, I guess the Euro market doesn't go for custom built as much as NA, and distributors are getting scarce. Clevo will make you lappies with up to twin 1080s and 3k IPS AU Optronics panels but only in 17" size

Be aware that every laptop brand you ever heard of, other than MSI, actually does not "make" a single laptop.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Original Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China.

Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP
Clevo sells to boutique laptop vendors such as Alienware (pre_Dell buyout), FalconNorthwest, WidowPC, etc

If video editing is to be a significant activity, realize that you are giving up screen real estate for portability. Threads and CUDA cores are needed here and laptops are thin on both. Id also look for a 2nd SSD as a scratch drive.

My son (math major, photography / media arts minor) chose to go off to college w/ a MacBook for classes and a desktop for gaming / video / photo work.. We build many of his college dorm mates desktops and I'd day that the typical campus usage was as follows:

Desktop / MacBook - 50%
Desktop / Laptop - 20%
Desktop / Tablet - 10%
Desktop Only 10%
Laptop Only - 10%

Main issue with the lappies was battery life ... any lappie capable of gaming was limited to 90 - 120 or so minutes.

Solution

Tony10

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Well it is true that I can't find a single clevo laptop here so that's not a choice :p .Video editting is more like a hobby so mainly college CAD software and gaming... and I also got a decent desktop.Battery life isn't big of an issue as I won't use it on battery for more than 3-4 hours I believe with regular usage.For gaming on battery I believe never :p.I would definately go for msi ge63vr but it has that 120hz TN panel that scares me :p Is it gonna be that bad ? I am not a hardcore fps gamer but I have never seen a 120hz TN panel display live so I really can't decide.