Gaming Laptop Suggestions

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
1. What is your budget?

The most I'd be willing to spend is $2250, but I'd be willing to sacrifice GPU performance if it means I'm saving money.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15" would be ideal. I really want a thin laptop (1" thick or less).

3. What screen resolution do you want?

No less than 1080p.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I have a gaming pc, but I want some of that portability and power put into a laptop. I know there won't be any thin laptops that can match the power of my GTX 980, so I just want something I can use to play games with my friends without needing to lug a big desktop with me.

5. How much battery life do you need?

The more the merrier! Battery life is very important to me. Ideally I'd like 5 hours or more under regular use. 4 hours is a bit low for me (I know, this limits my options by quite a bit, but what's the use of a portable device if it needs to be plugged into a wall 24/7?!).

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Rocket League, League of Legends, Battlefield 4, Fallout 4, etc. I would like to be able to play them at medium to high settings at around 60 fps at 1080p.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Regular word processing and programming.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I won't accept anything less than 512GB of storage. I also need an SSD (I would be find with something like a 128GB SSD with 1TB HDD combo).

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Don't care as long as they ship to the US

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Probably 3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I don't care about optical drives at all. In fact, I'd prefer to NOT have an optical drive since they just take up space that could be used for more important stuff like cooling and storage.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I have no allegiance to any brand.

13. What country do you live in?

United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The minimum GPU I'd accept is a GTX 960M. That said, the 970M seems like a nice sweet spot for performance and price. I plan on buying this laptop at the end of the summer, so I'm not sure if I should even go for a maxwell GPU or just wait a little bit for pascal (I'd love some feedback on this).

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

I already have a very powerful desktop (GTX 980 with an i5 4690K). I wanted to get a gaming laptop because it's hard to play games with my friends when they all want to game in the same room. I need something portable.