Gaming Laptop Unexpectedly Reboots

dapperdanderfluff

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Hi all,

I've been having problems with a 4 to 5 year old gaming laptop. The system is an MSI MS-16f2 running an i7 and a GTX 570M. It reboots with no error screen and the only critical error in event viewer is event 41 kernel-power.

My first impulse was heat, so I cleaned out the case and reapplied thermal paste. Problem persisted, but the heat was not so bad. Running Furmark it would reboot when the CPU was around 60-70 C which is hot but not enough to make the system shut down.

So, my second thought was power. Maybe I have a faulty power adapter. So I replaced it. The problem still persists whenever the GPU is under load. Strangely I can run the CPU up to 100 percent in prime95 for a good amount of time without a reboot - if it were power I would think that this wouldn't happen? Maybe the problem is power distribution?

Anyway, any ideas? Faulty GPU? Bizarre driver/BIOS problem? Some other thing that I can't think of because I'm an idiot? I'm of half a mind to simply buy a new laptop since this one is fairly old now and I could upgrade to a 970M.

Solution
You might want to try running some different types of software for detecting issues. A good anti-virus, as well as something like Ad-Aware and SpyBot. They way you can sure there is nothing hiding out that is the cause.

dapperdanderfluff

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016

Yes, the problem doesn't persist in safe mode. What to make of that I'm not sure. There wasnt any new software or drivers installed shortly before the problem appeared, and Ive since tried windows update and updating drivers to no avail.