Solved! Gaming laptop with good build quality/battery life

jtyler09

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
1. What is your budget?
$1300 (maybe more if it gets me what I am looking for)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" or around there

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Would like 1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Will be in addition to my desktop

5. How much battery life do you need?
Would like 3+ hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Medium/High on the average game. None to list specifically

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Average everyday use.. browsing the web, emails, etc. (aside from gaming as mentioned above)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250GB+, would like 7200RPM but not a deal-breaker if not (especially if 5400RPM would give me better battery life)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg.com or others (No preference)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Would like it to last around two years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD-ROM/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preference

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Something that is really important to me is build quality. I am really impressed by the build quality of Macbooks, but I don't like too make things about them. (I want a right-click button, I hate their missing keys (page up/down, home/end, etc.), I don't care to use OSX (would strictly be using Windows on it))

What's important to me:
Build quality
Battery life
Decent GPU

P.S. - Am I asking for too much here? If so, what should I cut out to get me as close to what I want as I can?

zodiac321

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The Dell XPS that cloudy 2010 suggested is much worse than Asus G73 (GPU there will smoke XPS's GT550M any day). Since you're based in USA, you can find new Asus G73SW for around $1400... for example, http://www.amazon.com/G73SW-XA1-Republic-Gamers-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B004LRO9AK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305543916&sr=8-2

Nothing better for this price. Plus G73 totally delivers, you won't regret it.

BTW - you're not asking for too much, that's what Asus ROG is there for... except forget good battery life on a gaming laptop - these two just don't come together ;) 1.5-2.5 hours is good enough.