Gaming laptop with GTX 1070 for $2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diletantric

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
Hi everyone, I have been spending several weeks thinking about a new gaming device. My objective is to be able to game on max settings @ 60 FPS. I think an i7 + GTX 1070 combination will achieve this.

I am from India which means that building a desktop is more expensive than getting a laptop from the US. I will soon be traveling to the US and as luck would have it, there is a slew of Pascal based machines that have hit the market.

I have been researching a bit and have shortlisted these machines:
ASUS GL502VS $1,800
MSI GT62VR $1,800
Sager NP8153 $1,800
Alienware 15/17 $2,000
ASUS G752 $2,200

I have configured the available options to get the specs to be mostly similar
i7 6700, GTX1070, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD, GSYNC

Differences:
- The GL502VS looks dangerously thin for a device packing an i7 and a GTX1070. Maybe it's just psychological, but the lack of the large exhausts that the other machines have make me worried
- Only the G752 comes with minimum 16GB RAM, though I don't think this should matter too much.
- The Alienware and ROG have 120Hz displays (I think - Alienware specs are a little confusing regarding this)

I am leaning toward the Alienware because:
1. They are the only company with significant retail operations in India, so I am hoping that customer service will be decent
2. The new Alienware models are the best looking of the lot

However, I might be swayed towards the other machines if you guys think that they offer better thermal management and reliability. I'm not worried about battery life (lolz). Looking forward to your thoughts!

I would go with the asus g752 as I know asus. The msi is also a good choice. I don't know about the sager. The Alienwaare I would stay away from as most people say it is overpriced.

I would assume the sager is the most maintainable as their high end laptops allow you to replace everything without having to void the warranty whereas branded laptop manufacturers don't like you to do this.

Diletantric

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

Thanks! Regarding the Sager, the warranty might not help since I will be in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.