Gaming Laptop

Byer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hello,

I'm going to be going on the road a lot for work but have a need to keep gaming - so I think it's time to get a laptop but there are so many reviews and threads that I find that are either old or not the same as what I'm looking for or wanting to spend. Can someone help me with some recommendations?

Currently my desktop is:

Proc: Intel i7-930
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HDD: 560GB 32MB BUFFER - 10k RPM
VIDEO: GeForce GTX 470
O/S: Windows 7 Pro x64

I'm looking for something that will allow me to play games like Mafia II, Flight Sims, and World of WarCraft as smooth and best settings possible for my budget. I have a work laptop for all other tasks so I don't care about blu-ray, camera, etc. I'm just looking for a no-nonsense gaming rig for about $1500 USD out-the-door.

Also, I'm trying to find out if the moble ATI or NVIDIA are the better bang for the buck.

Any suggestions?

Solution
It's written Vaio and pronounced: VA-YO. It's true that they are pricey and they don't give you the best hardware currently available. They do that 1 year later, so you feel like "why did i buy that junk, can i upgrade or do i buy a new one?"

Raza posted the www.xoticPC.com link, and the model (even though ugly as hell - like Lenovo) has really good specs for a gaming laptop. Good GPU is a must & in most cases, a premium! I don't know much about Asus related problems or their cust-care. Does it over-heat like HP? How noisy does it get? Will the laptop still be running 4-5 years down the line? Is xoticPC a safe place to buy from?

I was able to configure a VAIO F series to reach $1574.99. And it includes:
> Core i7-840QM processor 1.86GHz - 3.20GHz
> 320GB 7200RPM
> 6GB DDR3 RAM
> GeForce GT 425M 1GB
> 16.4" 1600x900 (so not 1080p)

According to NoteBookCheck, this GPU should play Mafia 2 in high-detail at 30fps, half that if u want ultra details.

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
go with better GPU , sony vio, alienware and apple are expensive brands for nothing go with asus or sager and u will have better deal, as the link i gave u have gtx460 GPU which is atleast 2x faster than gt425 and u need a gaming laptop right? so go with it or MSI GX640 is another good choice, but this is better

G

It's written Vaio and pronounced: VA-YO. It's true that they are pricey and they don't give you the best hardware currently available. They do that 1 year later, so you feel like "why did i buy that junk, can i upgrade or do i buy a new one?"

Raza posted the www.xoticPC.com link, and the model (even though ugly as hell - like Lenovo) has really good specs for a gaming laptop. Good GPU is a must & in most cases, a premium! I don't know much about Asus related problems or their cust-care. Does it over-heat like HP? How noisy does it get? Will the laptop still be running 4-5 years down the line? Is xoticPC a safe place to buy from?

From Asus w/ a 15":

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=G53JW-A1

From Clevo,w/ a 17" (tho with a i7-740QM, 6 GB, 500 GB HD and Win7-64 Home I'm at $1674)

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=W870CU

Never heard of Clevo ? Most peeps never heard of who actually made every laptop they have ever owned:

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM)

# Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
# Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
# Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
# Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
# ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
# Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
# Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
# Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent
# Clevo sells to Sager, Alienware, WidowPC, Falconnorthwest and other boutique manufacturers.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008

Xoticpc are really good in providing decent customer support and they are selling in much cheaper price than market. And about brand matter, yes ASUS is one of the best manufacturer in producing excellent gaming laptops, and the newever gtx4xx series of nvidia doesnt run that hot like previous gtx260, so nothing to worry about, and i personally just see specifications and requirements as main concern, so have nothing to do with ugly or beautiful matter.

Solution

americanbrian

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Hi there,

I know it seems like you are trying to get the absolute best performance in your budget, so I think if you check out ebay, you could find some really good deals.

I have found these G51's for what I think is a real bargain, it looks like several sellers are in this game now. They come with GTX260M's which are not the absolute best, but still pretty decent performers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-G51Vx-RX05-RX5-15-6-1GB-GTX-260M-GAMING-LAPTOP-PC-/220692155717?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3362470d45

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-G51V-GAMERS-LAPTOP-4GB-C2D-2GHZ-NVIDIA-GTX-260M-1G-/180574484801?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2a0b13f941

and there are more options than just this.

Good luck and have fun.

G

I read in NoteBookCheck that GTX 260M is based on 9800M GTX and there were no stats on games like Starcraft 2. Do you know how many FPS are achievable with GTX 260M in high/ultra detail?

Byer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Thanks all for the feedback and info. I ended up going with the ASUS 73JW from Newegg.com. it had awesome specs for $1,440.70 since I didn't pay tax and only $17 shipping.