gaming laptop!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
9 out of 10 Shogun's prefer them...
So, YES, I am waiting to get one myself.
[Ninja enters]
My ninja's just informed me that 9 out of 9 Shogun's prefer Killer Notebooks!

We hope the X2 Dual Core Turions will be out (with machines to put them in) within a month.

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
I bought mine last July with the ML 1.6. Now we can buy Dual-core. To bad HP is to cheap to use MTs. I read that HPs do not like MTs. When you have ML like I have.

Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Benchmarks show Cores are better than Turions in gaming. I don't have the time to post a link right now, but I believe it was on Ars Technica a while ago. I love AMD as much as the next fella, but when it comes down to it, it's all about performance.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well, I don't know what benchmarks those are because I know AMD RULEz gaming. I also know that the Athlon was actually designed ahead for dual core technology and the X2 smokes the pentium dual core, and I'm sure the same will be true for the Turion X2 mobil dual core. You can't really take a dual core chip and put it against a single core chip, even though the Turion does awesome agains the Core-Dup it just isn't really a fair match up.

That being said, I think Intel really did their homework and set themselves up for success in that their next generation of 64 bit dual core CPU's are supposedly going to fit in the current 945 chipset Yonah slots. That's smart. AMD's gotta do a little "catch u" here I think once these new Intel chips come out... we'll see.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Ok, looks like I will be offering an anodized aluminum skin laser etched with the Killer Notebooks logo over the cover in a choice of several different colors (est. $65)
micro_insignia.gif

Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Well, I don't know what benchmarks those are because I know AMD RULEz gaming. I also know that the Athlon was actually designed ahead for dual core technology and the X2 smokes the pentium dual core, and I'm sure the same will be true for the Turion X2 mobil dual core. You can't really take a dual core chip and put it against a single core chip, even though the Turion does awesome agains the Core-Dup it just isn't really a fair match up.

That being said, I think Intel really did their homework and set themselves up for success in that their next generation of 64 bit dual core CPU's are supposedly going to fit in the current 945 chipset Yonah slots. That's smart. AMD's gotta do a little "catch u" here I think once these new Intel chips come out... we'll see.

I would like you check this review of the Pentium M compared to a Turion so you can see for yourself. I would surely like your customers to recieve the absolute best in performance, and while AMD rules the desktop (for now), it pales in the laptop area.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I added the Intel line for those people that wanted Intel, I think Intel core-duo is better in media rendering and the like... but I have to say here that synthetic benchmarks, I FEEL, do not reflect real world performance and 2. is this not the conclusion of the article?
Conclusions
From a performance perspective, it's clear that the Turion 64 is the winner. By my count, the Pentium M was faster in only five of the tests, and one of those (the hardware OpenGL test in Cinebench) was probably due to graphics drivers. The rest were either a toss-up or a win for the Turion 64. The other thing that struck me about the results was that even in the tests the Pentium M did win, its margin of victory was fairly small. A number of the Turion 64 wins, however, were by an impressively large margin.