Gaming laptops overpriced?

zental

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
I've got a few questions about laptops because I've never bought one before. I work Helpdesk for a living and I've built my desktop machines for years now, but laptops always seem to elude me. It's hard to upgrade them, and the prices are really off the wall when you try to compare it to a desktop unit. I really wish I could just build my own laptop like my desktops, but alas that wont happen.

My question to everyone is this: Is there any way I'm going to get away with a gaming laptop that will last me a few years for under $3000? I've been looking around on Dell and Alienware and what i've come up with is that 3k is about the number I'm going to have to go with because of the gaming needs i have.

I have a perfectly capable desktop unit already, so what I might end up doing is waiting until that unit gets outdated and buy a new laptop at that point... but I just want to know what you guys think. I really just want the laptop to be on par with my desktop or maybe a little above.

Right now my desktop is a:
E4400 2.0ghz core duo
8800GTS 320mb vid card
2gigs dual channeled ddr2 800

it pretty much plays any game i throw at it without any problems. I would just like to be able to have the mobility of a laptop. I love the payment plans dell gives you though because It's not like i have 3k laying around to drop on a laptop, but I'm just not sure if i should get one like that at this point.

There's the Clevo M570ru that's sold by sagernotebook.com and xoticpc.com as the 5793. I would like to point you to killernotebooks.com, but his prices may not be to your liking either.

Comes with Core2 CPU's 8800mGTX graphics cards up to 4gb of RAM adn 7200rpm HDDs for around $2500.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I got my laptop for much less than 3000, but I talked to Killer Notebooks personally (well, by email) and he was clearing out this model (it was when he was introducing the newer Executioner SR/M570ru). It was a lucky break, but it is possible, :p

Yeah, the M570 series is a good deal, and you can usually get it for a lower price than other high end laptops from Alienware and such. And yes, in general, gaming laptops are overpriced, but that's the nature of the high end boutique market in any product.

zental

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
I'm not sure I really trust laptop companies to begin with, but much less ones that I've never heard of like the ones you mentioned. I don't know I'm just really gunshy about laptops because of all the laptops and the problems i have to support from them....... of course we are supporting IBM stinkpads here where i work =/ But we use dell desktop computers, and i am pretty happy with the performance i've seen out of the dell models and their support when it comes to replacing equipment. That's one of the main reasons I want to go with like Dell or HP, they seem to have really good assurance with their products.

I was reading the post about the lesser priced laptops, something around $1400 that would run games except the newest ones perhaps. I wouldn't mind having one that is capable of oblivion, wow, etc. I am still surfing the forums and laptop sites to see what i can find, but any info on that subject would be appreciated as well :)

Agreed SAGER is a very good brand, it makes excellent laptops and it has good price, its alot cheaper than DELL and ALIENWARE

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah, I know what you mean, I was pretty skeptical of the whole small laptop company thing, but I took the plunge and I'm pretty impressed.

Either way, Clevo (who builds the chassis) isn't well known to the general public, but almost any laptop company uses their chassis in some model. Yes, this includes Alienware :p. If you're worried about a company, check sites like Reseller Ratings and/or contact the company by email or phone. It's usually a good indicator of what kind of customer support you'll get if you run into trouble.

As for a 1400 dollar laptop that can game, the Gateway P6831FX can go on sale to around that range, and it's a pretty good laptop for its price, because of the 8800GTS that it comes with:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529667881.php?rdr=v1311

That GATEWAY is a solid laptop,in that $ range u cant get anything else
I need that laptop :( but unfortunately its not available in IRAN
also its not available in UK (since my uncle is there so he can order)

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Gateway stopped shipping to Canada too, I'm pretty sure, so they didn't have to deal with US-Canada border fees or something like that. Not sure if they've restarted. Come on Gateway, you're supposed to be a giant international organization (of doom).

zental

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
Ehhh i dont know... those are only sold through resellers? hmm... Plus it's gateway. But you really can't beat a 512mb version of the 8800gts, which is what i've got lol. THe only thing that sucks is I'd definately have to bump up the processor, and if i can get a 7200rpm hdd i'd definately opt for that too. The other thing i noticed about that is the screen isn't that great. I dunno.... it's got a really nice video card, but it lacks everywhere else. I think i might take a look at dell or that other brand because the parts they use in the XPS line are really quality hardware.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
honestly there are a fair amount of gaming notebook at solid prices. case in point up here in Canada buddy of mine recently purchased a 17 inch screen acer with a 2GHz Turion 64 X2 2GB of RAM 250GB HD and an Nvidia 8600 for <$1000 CDN. and it plays everything out there except for crysis of course but I doubt even a 3K laptop would play crysis at decent settings without dripping sweat off it's memory slots lol. As for companies such as Sager I have seen them around for about 3-5 years myself now they seem to build a solid laptop at a good price Alienware now being owned by dell is a turnoff as an XPS is cheaper than most of the Alienwares. Honestly best value in high end notebooks I'd go with a Falcon Northwest but that's my basically last of the big boutique builders that's independent and still builds an amazing machine starting around $2500 then they go up, actually just for giggles me and some buddies priced out a loaded top of the line FN laptop for gaming came out to $10K with the solid state drives and all lol

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Hahah, for F-NW, I'd stick with their desktops. Their laptops are insanely high priced. But the paint jobs...*drool*

Though for the note, I can play Crysis at medium settings (can't remember what resolution, I think it was 1280 or something) with acceptable frame rates, so it's not impossible to play it on a newer gaming laptop.

And also, it depends. A mid-high laptop will play most games out there, but not on maxed detail. If you do want full settings (which like me, I'm sure you do :D) then you'd have to splurge on the gaming laptops.

danbaohaochi

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
me too, SAGER is a very good brand, it makes excellent laptops and it has good price, its alot cheaper than DELL and ALIENWARE
gg