Gaming Laptops, which to choose?

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Well I'm in the market for a gaming laptop, contemplated a desktop for a while but need/prefer the mobility of a laptop so that's a no go on the desktop, sadly.

Now my current laptop is an HP Envy Touchsmart.. something or the other. m6-n010dx i believe
AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHz Quadcore
AMD Radeon 8650G dedicated GPU
6GB RAM upgraded to 16 GB Ram
750GB HD upgraded to 240GB Sandisk SSD extreme pro

Were the RAM and SSD a worthy upgrade? probably not but I did it anyway.
Definitely saw a boost in power. After I bought a Clean Windows 8.1 disk and uploaded it.

All I have is about 4GB of music on my SSD, basic files
firefox, anti virus, itunes, etc.

Performance shot down hard and it gets laggy when I load multiple web pages and youtube gets a bit slow if I have 2+ tabs open.

I game a bit, mostly SWTOR and love to always be able to run the highest settings, makes it more fun. Anyway, I was able to get them to medium high before now I have them on low-medium just to run semi smooth, not sure what happened. I know what most of you are thinking, it's not built to be a gaming laptop. The specs per price was what got me to buy it.

I have one of two things to do, give this to my sister who needs a laptop and buy a proper gaming laptop.

The ones I'm looking at are the

Origin EON15-X: CPU: 4GHz Intel Core i7-4790K | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M (8GB GDDR5 RAM), Intel HD Graphics 4600 | RAM: 8GB | Screen: 15.6-inch, 1920 x 1080 LED Backlit Matte Display | Storage: 240GB SSD; 1TB HDD (5,400 rpm) | Connectivity: Intel PRO Wireless AC 7265 + Bluetooth Wireless LAN Combo

and the

Aorus X5-CF1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M SLI 8 GB GDDR5
5th Generation Intel Core i7 5700HQ (2.70GHz)
16GB Memory 1TB HDD 512GB SSD (M.2 256 GB x 2)
15.6" WQHD+ 2880x1620 IPS Display

Any advice would be helpful thanks again guys

skitszo

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Not sure what you mean by performance shot down; as in if it correlated to something?

You could try a fresh OS install if its 1 to 2 years old on the current install. Or do a maintenance on your system to clean it up a bit.

1) is your hard drive under 75% capacity? should stay under 75%.
2) hard drive should be tested- Hard Disk Sentinel.
3) memory should be tested for errors corrupting data. - memtest
4) malware/adware/virus/ rootkit scans
5) defrag- Auslogics
6) unistall unwanted programs and adware - Revo uninstaller
7) start/run- type msconfig --- turn off all programs that can be run manually when you need them. services tab check hide microsoft services then turn off services that run programs you know you don't need booting up.
8) update all your drivers - make sure your current with microsoft.

as to buying new.. well ya that would be nice. 8}

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

I'm basically looking to be able to game on the highest settings for a few years. I had a heavily built desktop before and loved the graphics and visuals on max setting make the games more fun to play so I know I'm not going to get the same speed/performance out of a laptop vs desktop but I need the mobility.

The games I play are: SW:TOR, CS:GO, GTA V, Starcraft 2, COD AW, Skyrim, The Witcher 3, etc.
I'm looking for around the $2,500 range

skitszo

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
I'd wait for the skylake gaming laptops then. they should be getting some nice GPU.s as the skylake TDP.s should be less draw on resources. and the windows 10 will be installed.

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

Well any computer running at least windows 7 will get a free upgrade to windows 10, so that isn't a concern to me. Skylake wont really be a drastic increase over power, More efficient, better igpu yes. But I'm not going to game on the intel 5000

Either try and get the auros in 1080p and upgrade another part of the laptop like the gpu if it allows you to as 2k is not really recommended for windows due to scaling.

Or get an asus rog series laptop or msi gt dominator range. If these are too heavy for you, then stick with the auros.

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Doesn't a 965 sli trump a single 980?
I'm not a big fan of alienware due to the brand name boosts price $500+.
I'll look into the MSI, auros, and the asus.
I'll end up picking it up in a few months maybe something better will come out or possible holiday sales

Thanks guys

I know you said a full fledged desktop is out of the question but what about a small form factor pc. You could build one that weighs about the same as these laptops and carry it around and plug it into the labs when you need to do work.

These will offer better performance than the laptops and is more upgradable in the future. But this is just a thought.

AnthonysWork

Estimable
Jun 24, 2015
For Cpu (i.e. JAVA) intensive games, the Origin is probably better. The gap between a mobile and desktop processor is small, but there is still a gap, in favor of the 4790k. For the ram, 8 is enough for most things. As for the 965m sli and 980m, i would go with the 965m sli. Btw you will NOT see the difference in 2k vs 1080, even at 10 inches away. With both the laptops you will have to worry about power supply, and battery life. Hope this helps.