Gaming Rig - Good Brand & Good Deal?

Spicedriver

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I haven't been gaming much in the past few years but looking to jump back in with a gaming laptop. While I understand that no machine is future-proof, I want to be able to play pretty-much anything at moderate to high settings and not have to worry about upgrading for at least 3-years. I won't be mobile, so I don't care about weight or battery life. I just want big (17"+), fast, good quality, and around $2K. I saw some decent reviews on CyberPowerPC and they have a great sale going on right now, so I'm thinking of the following rig and would appreciate any feedback on the build based on my requirements, the brand/service, and the price:

• CyberPowerPC FANGBOOK EVO HX7-300
• 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 Display w/ Red backlit performance keyboard with programmable keys, Built-in 720p
• Mobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset Mainboard
• Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Mobile Processor 2.70 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.70 GHz
• NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB PCIe Video (NB-FANG-202)
• 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
• 256GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 555 MB/s Read & 530 MB/s Write (Single Drive)
• 1 TB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive
• 8X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-FANG-BR-COMBO)
• Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)
• Standard 1-Year Limited Warranty and Life-Time Technical Support
• LCD Perfect Assurance: 30 Day No-Dead Pixel Guarantee for 17in and above

The shipped price with all discounts is about $2,070. Thanks in advance!

Solution

That's precisely why I bought the Fangbook HX-100. A desktop resides in my study, a Nexus 7 anywhere, and the laptop is used primarily on the balcony overlooking the beach (I spend 10-12 hours a day...

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
If you won't be mobile, then why not buy a desktop? No laptop can match a desktop in performance for the same price. VGA M series are crap in my opinion, everything is always overpriced, and well, it gets hot, damm hot. I used to have an asus gaming laptop, and it was the worst thing ever created. All drivers, components, 3d screen, basically everything sucked.

Spicedriver

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

I should have said that I usually won't be mobile outside of my home. I do want the flexibility of easily moving around the house, out on the deck in the summer, etc.

rpjkw11

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

That's precisely why I bought the Fangbook HX-100. A desktop resides in my study, a Nexus 7 anywhere, and the laptop is used primarily on the balcony overlooking the beach (I spend 10-12 hours a day on the balcony so a laptop was what I wanted). I'm really impressed with the laptop's performance. I play Flight Simulator 9 & 10 and they run as well on this as my desktop. I couldn't be happier.

Solution