Gap in computer's security?

Metallica93

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
There appears to be a gaping hole in my computer's security system and I don't know where to start. I have Firefox and Adblock is doing squat. Malwarebytes gets rid of some things, but they always come back. MSE is... well, doing whatever. I haven't downloaded anything, so I know it's not added on junk-ware.

All of this started around the time I watched 'Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.' on this "couchtuner" website, but I've watched stuff online with no problem before, so I'm not sure why this site would be different.

Is there a "go to" way to get rid of this stuff permanently and fill in the security gap? These popups are slowing everything down considerably.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Plenty of sites do drive-by-downloads, and you'd have no idea if there is anything installed until you started looking; and even then, sometimes it takes an experienced guy to spot what's been installed.

If all you're experiencing is a pop-up problem, try AdGuard. If you want a beefed up browser, try WhiteHat Security's Aviator browser. Personally, my daily browser is Iron (another security-minded Chrome variant), but I've used AdGuard for a long time now. If any ads get through, it's easy enough to disable them. The settings are very easy to manage as well. Never tried the paid version, but I have it on my computer, and also have the mobile version running on my Android; zero complaints whatsoever.

If you're having other issues, please be a little more specific... hard to tell what exactly your problem is. And, contrary to popular belief, you can visit known malicious websites with practically no harm done to your computer; you just need the right tools, and the know-how to protect yourself.

Metallica93

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
scout, that search was extremely uninformative. Most of those links were "Buy our software!" or issues with the website itself.

I haven't used it in weeks and yet I'm having issues (issues that *did not* appear when I used that site).

Skylyne, thanks for the help. I'll go to "Programs And Features" and delete things, but they always come back (or it's something new). I haven't visited the "couchtuner" site in weeks, so I don't know what it could be.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Can you describe exactly what issues you're having? Are there random programs being installed? Malicious pop up windows? Are there programs running in the background that you keep having to shut down? Kind of need more specifics to figure out what's going on, and how to fix it.

Metallica93

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Random programs are being installed (that I remove via "Programs And Features"). There is one in particular, "cheap4all", that creates pop-up ads like crazy. It even highlights words in this thread and essentially links them to places (e.g. "ReImage PC Repair"). There's also the "You have one new message!" pop-up that I haven't seen since AOL.

I haven't had a malicious program show up in my icon tray in a while, but I'll check Task Manager to see if anything looks out of place.

Malwarebytes only seems to remedy the issue temporarily. Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox did not work.

I don't want to just get a new brower. I've never had this issue before and I'd love to take the time and learn how to resolve it. Should I simply take notes on what comes up and search online for solutions? All of them seem generic, unfortunately ("Go to 'Programs And Features'", "Delete program", "Problem solved", etc).

UPDATE: "Refreshed" Firefox, installed uBlock instead. Problem solved. I'm assuming there's still junk on my computer, though.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
I'm willing to bet there is more than just that Cheap4all shit on your computer. I'd recommend doing a bootable virus and malware scan. Looks like you'll need to wipe it out without booting up Windows. You could try that, or do the scans when booted into Safe Mode. That might help too. Definitely try the steps in scout's link for removing that one piece of adware, but I'd recommend at least doing some scans with a couple different programs when booted into Safe Mode at the least.

Metallica93

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I always forget which forums I can swear in and which I can't... lol

Skylyne, any recommendations for bootable software? The only experience I have with bootable programs is Memtest86+.

My next step will be running Malwarebytes and MSE in Safe Mode, though. Always forget about that. Thanks.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

For bootable, start with the link scout provided. It's a start, but I would recommend using some bootable MBAM, or HitmanPro, if you can get a copy. For bootable AV, I'd suggest one of the top names, like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, or Webroot. I'm not sure you can get those without a paid subscription, but that's what I would use in your situation. I think there is a free Avast bootable program, though. As much as I can't stand Avast, if it's your best option, it's an option.

MSE is basically a glorified Windows Defender from Vista days. There was an old video that once called Defender "DCS," which stood for Doesn't Catch Shit. MSE should have adopted that name, because it doesn't do a damned thing for serious infections. It's worth trying, but the reputation is awful for many good reasons.

If you aren't apposed to it, I'd shop around for a new AV, find a top tier name within your budget, and ask their customer support if you can get a bootable version with what you paid for. That way, you're getting a quality scan, and you'll have a reliable AV for when this fiasco is over.

The only thing I don't like about this boot disc is the selection. The majority of opensource and freeware AV and MW cleaners are not as reliable as the big names, and for obvious reasons. Definitely a good starting point though; I won't disagree with that.

INOCsolutions

Estimable
Apr 22, 2015
That's the common problem with online streaming, you'll never know when a trusted site becomes a target for creeping malware and such. Good thing that you were able to fix the issue, now you only need to worry about the junk that's left behind, and Skylyne's tip may be just the thing. Have you tried it? How did it go?

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
I like to think that the problem is the end-user, personally... but you're right, INOC. Not being cynical, just the way I see the internet. It's unfathomable to me how people use their browsers without researching for the right tools, and don't bother using the best browser for their needs. I'm just not one of the "it should just work, and do everything I need it to" types. I expect software to fail, and that I'll need to find something else to fix whatever problems I might encounter.

Like I said, not trying to be cynical, even though it may come off that way. The gaps in security are widely known, but the public hears too little about the important ones. I guess that just comes with being a security nut!

Personally, I wish I had the know-how to release a browser for those who want to keep malware/trojans/etc. at bay, equipped with the right plugins, security features, and privacy and security tweaks for when they do other things. The tools are out there, I just don't have the time to learn all of it, or to keep it up to date. Using Aviator and Adguard would be a great start, IMO, and hopefully the OP has some success with everything.