Gartner: WebOS Basically Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
for better or worse, ill go down with the ship. I have a bad habit of adopting a niche early and hoiding on to a long dead platform.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Yay for Gartner... you realize the companies have to pay for Gartner to report on them?

The second you see "magic quandrant and gartner and company X" it's time to sell your shares and run away... what company in their right mind would pay Gartner when things were going good and plainly obvious....

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]windows phone passing ios sounds like someone's living in a fantasy land[/citation]
^This

By the way Blackberries are quite underrated. They're pretty good except for their boot time...

G

The Xoom had a major launch too and it was a flop. What some IT folks are thinking the tablet thing is really an Apple thing....and not a new wave..who knows, but all the tablets are flops except the ipad....

G

I think Windows Phone will indeed do well. It's doing better in Europe, and Australia...it's going to be more affordable than the iphone, and will do well in Asia too. Microsoft's been kicking ass of late, and you can't ignor it. Best selling Electronic product of all time with Kennect, Bing is taking market share, Bing App for Ipad crushes Googles App, Company profitability uber strong. Don't count them out, as their strategy is to plan, and strike...They are not perfect, and screw up a lot, but they also hit home runs...Windows Phone will expand as the analysts are correct on this one.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Ok, WebOS doesn't have a considerable market share, but does it really have to? From what I've read WebOS is a Linux-based operating system that can run smoothly on a mobile phone. With it comes a full-blown Linux-userland (which the "crippled" Android OS does not) and hopefully a good API for the development of good applications (Hint: Qt). On top of that, it is fully compatible with most apps there are available on the Android market.

So if HP takes good care of the WebOS and release cool phones with that OS it can surely grow into a highly competitive OS in the Mobile Phone market.

I hate to say this but the Palm Pre 3 is probably a robust phone but it isn't cool. If HP change the color of it to say white, pink or any other vivid color it would suit the group of more feminine users. As it is now with the chubby and feminine design combined with an unfeminine black color it doesn't seem to appeal to any mainstream group of phone users.

Look at SE Xperia Arc and the Galaxy S II (is is not perfect but at least it is slim) with their slim and sharp designs. That's the design qualities they should strive for.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The WebOS flagship phone needs to be a good phone, not a crappy little piece of plastic with a small screen and annoying sliding parts....

The fact that each subsequent Pre phone that comes out is basically the same as the first just baffles me. It was a horrid design from the start and it is even more horrible now with great options like the Evo out there to compete with the iPhone.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
windows phone passing ios sounds like someone's living in a fantasy land

Per Gartner's own numbers nokia sold 110 million phones in the first quarter of last year, but only 25% of them were smart phones. Now if the global strategy to put all nokia phones on winmo 7 is true, then in one year microsoft's OS will surpass apple in active devices.

iOS 46 million activations last year, the biggest ever for Apple. Nokia 400million / year, no competition.

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1372013

G

GARTNER IS A FRAUD !! THEY WILL SAY ANYTHING YOU WANT IF YOU PAY ...BEST RISK SOFTWARE !!! WOW ..SHAME ON THIS CROOKS..I WILL NEVER TRUST OR READ ANYTHING FROM GARTNER !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.